Upgraded 2 channel Intergrated.

Options
LuSh
LuSh Posts: 887
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I've just done my last upgrade for my two channel system. I have been running LSi 9's with a NAD 541i CDP and a NAD intergrated.

I broke down and found a great deal on a used Sim Audio Moon i-5080. It ships today. These things have a very very long burn in process so I won't rush a review on my setup till next week. But I'm kinda stoked.

This amp (http://www.simaudio.com/mooni5080.htm) is a step down from the i-5 and has been recently replaced by the i-3.

My Sonus Ultimate Foundations come in later this week as well. Finally some decent speaker stands...

I'll post a review in a week or so. Later.
Post edited by LuSh on

Comments

• LuSh
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I got my SimAudio i-5080 about two weeks ago. Upon firing it up, the fuse blew, so I was stuck for a week until I could locate a 4amp fast blow fuse. Which was no small task. Once I finally got this thing fired up, I noticed 3 big things.

1. The soundstage doubled, and its currently placed in a very small room. The voices are raised well beyond the previous NAD i had running. It's no comparison. And this was only after day 1. The burn in on these amps is usually 3-4 days. The power button is actually located on the back of the unit. Like all amp's its strongly recommened that the amp is left on at all times.

2. Bass response. MUCH MUCH tighter. If there is no bass in a track, then no bass will be present. If there is however, a calling for bass. Whamo. It's there centered, tight and very accurate. The i-5080 (recently replaced by an almost identical i-3 intergrated two years ago) is rated at 80 wpc/8ohms. The LSi-9's seem to have finally met their match in terms of applification. No longer do they thurst for more like when hooked up to my old NAD intergrated. The SimAudio is very dynamic. Yet still musical and very smooth.

3. Distortion. The THD rating of .15% is a realistic number, not some cartoon funny like oh so many other amps have. Rather then flip the gain button up to 40-50 on the amp's reading I simply put the volume much lower. The amp has a digital read out for gain/volume. Reading from 00-50 I had it set to about 10-15 and was listening to Nirvana's unplugged album. Its the amount of dead air that really surprised me. Most people would probably think of distortion as a problem caused by volume but what impressed me was the lack of harmonic rings this amp produced at very low levels. I can hear more (and suprisingly less) noise at each level. After each song was over and the audience had applauded you could hear nothing and once Kurt talked to his mates it suddenly stuck out more. I could hear all the little jokes said to each other much clearer then before, which to me brought me even that much closer to be there live.

I even took a Radiohead cd (OK computer) which is HORRIBLY recorded and tried to make out the vocals. And although it was still a bit of a chore. It was much more pronoucned. I heard more of the music and there was much much more depth.

Overall I'm happy with my choice. I took a chance buying used, but so far it has paid off. As the amp starts to burn in more, its really showing how smooth it can be. Bryston stuff seems to be much more clinical, and not as smooth. The SimAudio also packs more of a punch then the little B60 intergrated.

With this amp, my LSi's and new cd player, I'm a pretty happy cat. I would like to mention that while the upgrades of the amp were extreme. And this SimAudio retails for 4x the price of the NAD intergrated. I heard about the same sonic differences as athe time I upgraded my CDP for about 2X retail price in my old player. Food for thought.

I will be trying in the coming weeks a few different wires and interconnects. I've lucked out and found somebody willing to let me try Kimber, Cardas, AudioQuest. Another who will let me try MIT, and I can compare against some Monster, and AR stuff. I think interconnects are a total myth and I will be using my instincts and ears. I haven't paid anything for these interconnects yet so If I hear something it won't be in my mind. I'm a skeptic to say the least and think connects are used and sold as expensive tone controls to put it nicely.

Anybody who is interested in SimAudio stuff should give a good listen. It is top quality stuff, and musical.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2004
    Options
    That's an odd looking little fellow but sounds like its performing above expectations, and that's always a good thing. Enjoy!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Lush,

Well written review and reflects what I believe is the difference between average gear and getting better gear. You may also find that as you increase the volume the sound still stays smooth and full as opposed to getting harsh and thin.

As for your belief that interconnects are tone controls, well.....each component has it's own sonic signature (tone control) and yes, so do interconnects, speaker cables and power cords. The trick is finding that combination that sounds best to you. I guarantee that any of the aftermarket cables will perform better than the generic patch cords supplied with low and some mid-fi gear. Better gear just doesn't come with patch cords, period. What is the point of having a $$$$$$$ piece of gear with $2.00 interconnects???

Have you been following the interconnect demos and reviews posted on the forum? When you get the cables to demo, please include the models for reference.

I'm glad you're enjoying your music again for the first time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Congrats on the new gear.

When I was auditioning my Musical Fidelity A3 integrated, I used Nirvana Unplugged, Ok Computer among many others. I also had pretty much the same results as you've indicated.

I'm interested to hear how your cable search will work out. Especially using OK Computer. Another Radiohead album that has become much clearer for myself is Amnesiac. It's great for bass as well.

If you like Radiohead, The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is a good CD and demo.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • LuSh
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I got ahold of a 1M pair of Cardas 300B twin interconnects the other day. I left them to burn in over 20hrs.

The cables have tamed the system somewhat. The Old acoustic research master series seem colder in comparison. The Cardas are much darker, the dynamics overall have blended together more. Wheather this is a good thing, I'm not sure. My system is very warm but very musical.

I'm gettin some Kimber 8TC speaker wire next week and I hope this improves my systems overall dynamics.

I agree cables make a difference. But I'm more convinced now more then ever, that just because cable A retails for a higher price then cable B doesn't really mean its a better cable. Tone controls. With slight improvements over dynamics. If I had an overall bright system, and I used Cardas, and compared it too say, MIT I might be convinced that Cardas is better. However, Cardas is naturally a very warm cable, and its better suited to that PARTICULAR system.

If a system is very warm and lush, Cardas would be a bad cable, the MIT would be a good balance. The differences are there, but which cable to use depends on your entire systems dynamics, strengths and weaknesses. That's my conclusion at any rate.

Dcarlson, where did you get your MF? I want to hear a few MF cd players Whitby Audio is the closest thing out this end, but they never seem to dicker on price.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I got my MF from Pro Audio in Sudbury.

I'm guessing your in the GTA? I know Bay Bloor Radio stocks MF.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • LuSh
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Yes, I'm east of Toronto. I was curious, how much does the MF CDP 3.2 retail for?

And does anybody use Classe as their source?
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Congrats LuSh,

Nice system you are putting together. The 8TC Kimber is the zippiest speaker cable I have tried to date and the list includes Ixos, Transparent, DH Labs, and the 8TC. It might just be the sparkle you are looking for.

I'm currently using the DH Labs in my two channel rig and its a warmer sounding cable. I switch back to the 8TC every once and a while and it is ruthlessly revealing as the details do come out more without being overly bright. Is one better than the other well they are different but both very good.