Dac's in series...

Options
brgman
brgman Posts: 2,859
edited January 2014 in Going Digital
OK i'm getting a headache trying to figure this out.I looked around but haven't found my answer.
Example:When using a DAC it takes digital to analog.This of course means no digital out to another DAC.I get this.
Enter the SB Touch as an example now.I feed with an ethernet which carries a digital signal to the Touch.I then run a coaxial cable from the o/p of the Touch to the OPPO.
How is this bypassing the DAC in the Touch?
How is it giving me a digital signal to the Oppo?
Why wouldn't you only be able to pull analog from the Touch if it gets processed by an onboard DAC?
Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
Post edited by brgman on

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The SB Touch isn't a standalone DAC.....it's a network streamer basically. You're sending digital in and whatever you want out....in your case digital out. All the networkable streamers are like this. They all have built-in DAC's but you can send the digital out to a standalone DAC.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • brgman
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how that happens without any special settings.It seems to me any unit with a DAC will want tto run the signal through.
    An AVR also offers digital out in the same fashion.I am just too stubborn or dumb to understand how this works.

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Any time you use a coaxial or optical out it is digital out bypassing that DAC's device until you use analog cables

You are mind f*^#ing yourself
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • brgman
    edited January 2014
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Any time you use a coaxial or optical out it is digital out bypassing that DAC's device until you use analog cables

You are mind f*^#ing yourself

I know, but how???????????
    How does that little chip know what i want???

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Its different circuit outputs
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dragon1952
    edited January 2014
    Options
    brgman wrote: »

It's actually sending the signal to both the digital and analog outputs but it's sending a DAC-bypassed digital signal to the digital out and a DAC converted analog signal to the analog outputs. Unless, of course, you turn off the analog outputs completely, which is an option.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • brgman
    edited January 2014
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    It's actually sending the signal to both the digital and analog outputs but it's sending a DAC-bypassed digital signal to the digital out and a DAC converted analog signal to the analog outputs. Unless, of course, you turn off the analog outputs completely, which is an option.

Well that was easy.I should've thought of this.
    I guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
    Thanks.

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • fjross
    fjross Posts: 183
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I thought that was last week when you sent me that tex.
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's
  • dragon1952
    edited January 2014
    Options
    brgman wrote:
    dragon1952 wrote: »

Just to clarify....as for the digital signal, when I said "It's sending the signal" I meant the SB Touch, not the 'little chip' :^ ) The 'little chip' is just sending the analog signal, but both signals are being sent to their respective outputs regardless of which one you are using. So you could actually have more than 1 device connected to the Touch at the same time.