record shelving

Options
jacks2start
jacks2start Posts: 98
edited February 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
looking into getting some expedit series shelving from Ikea to store my vinyl. anyone have them and let me know about the durability of them?
Post edited by jacks2start on

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited January 2014
    Options
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?147198-Expidit-album-storage-pics

I really like mine. I added a few extra supports, although I don't think that is completely necessary. It just made me feel a bit better.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I built my own but everyone that I know who has bought them "loves" them.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have 3 of the 4 square ones used on my vinyl love them perfect fit..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • 4xoddic
    4xoddic Posts: 372
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Here's a search which brings up some means to avoid Expedit collapse w/LPs:

https://www.google.com/#q=expedit+%22ikea%22+%22record%22+collapse

The stevehoffman.tv thread has some tips (bolt to wall; avoid 5 X 5 unit; L-shaped corner brackets; plywood backer; don't exceed stated weight limit; etcJ

Wife has said we'll not move LPs upon her retirement. So my task is to digitize ~ 12' of LPs by 2018 . . . .
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have an Expedit 4x2 unit with a 2x2 unit stacked on top of it that I use for LP storage. That takes is up to just short of a std 8' ceiling and leaves some room to store record inner/outer sleeves on top. I have them secured to the wall using the L brackets that come with them. I cut some spacers out of wood to keep the LP's from sliding all the way back. Works great and no problems over the last 5 years. I also use a 2x2 unit as my stand for my Spin Clean and VPI record cleaners.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Hello, jacks2start. I have had mine now for about two years. The black 2x4 units, 2 of them. While they are not completely filled with just vinyl LP's [they also house my extensive cookbook collection], I have no issues to report. Mine are not braced to the wall. Love 'em.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    edited January 2014
    Options
    No complaints - the worst thing I can say about them is that they're not designed for records and thus benefit from some minor modifications for best results - specifically, it's worth adding a lip on the back of each shelf as a backstop for the albums.

The only other caveat (and one that I nearly ran afoul of myself) - if you go with one of the square units (e.g., 4 x 4) make sure you build it correctly and not permuted 90 degrees! :-P The horizontal shelves must be one piece... if not assembled correctly, they're prone to catastrophic failure.

I'd posted a photo of one of my mismatched pair on AK and someone noticed what I hadn't - so I quickly rebuilt the offender!

correct:
    11190113886_8b8dae85b3_b.jpg
    DSC_6226_ by mhardy6647, on Flickr
    9835310846_858c777006_b.jpg
    DSC_6971_ by mhardy6647, on Flickr

not so correct:

12038566264_287a884a17_b.jpg
    DSC_6224_oops by mhardy6647, on Flickr
    Look at the shelves...

Catastrophic failure when not built right (borrowed images, not mine, I'm pleased to say)...

YHbTm.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/YHbTm.jpg

expedit2.jpg
    http://www.flashfonic.de/wp-content/uploads/expedit2.jpg
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited January 2014
    Options
    2x4 with no backer but i did PL400 every connection point. If the cabinet breaks, the dowels will stand prominently.
    I also added four capita 4" feet to the bottom.

DSC00720_zps992f7029.jpg
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • j1mmy
    j1mmy Posts: 95
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Looks great - good job
  • iliveinyourhead
    iliveinyourhead Posts: 12
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have a 5 x 5 but did bolt it to the wall and a second 1 x 5 as i have them in a corner. The 5 x 5 was semi wobbly (as in the photo of the failed ones) but once i bolted it to the wall and other 1 x 5 its rock solid.
    i can take pics if desired.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have a 4x4, works great. I did add an L-bracket to each corner to reinforce, after reading of some of the nightmare collapses. However, the collapses only happen if you orient it incorrectly. As long as the individual panels are oriented vertically and the long panels are oriented horizontally, there should not be any problems.

I do need to add a cleat to the back of each shelf so that there is something to stop the albums from sliding too far back, haven't gotten to that yet. But for the money, these can't be beat for storing your vinyl collection.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I don't have the space for that whole set up nor that many LPs to store anyway. I went to GoodWill and they had these racks 2 matched and the one in the middle was a bit different but w/ the same graduating height.They were either chrome or gold and I got out my world famous flat black spray paint. Right now the count is at 65 w/ space for about 10/15 more.After that I haven't the slightest idea where to put them. Doing the sideways thing and not head on just will not work here on top of the console.

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/leftwinger57leftwinger/media/DSCN03431_zps87792c7c.jpg.html
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Hofy
    Hofy Posts: 169
    edited January 2014
    Options
    As has been said before, if you get the 4x4 model, make sure it is assembled correctly. the long shelves go horizontal and the short support shelves go vertical. There are also a bunch of mods that have been done. Some are mentioned above, others include adding doors and removing vertical support shelves to make room for equipment.

I just wish there was an Ikea near me, or even in my state.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2014
    Options
    At one point, Target had some roughly equivalent storage cubes... I just googled and perused their site a little; I am not sure that the exact units that have been suggested in the past (as Expedit-equivalents) are still available, but a trip to your local Target might be worth the effort.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Here are a few shots of the 4x4 Expedit I just built:

IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2014
    Options