Japanese made tubes anyone tried?

pitdogg2
pitdogg2 Posts: 25,130
edited January 2014 in 2 Channel Audio
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121245891057?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Anyone here ever tried Japanese made tubes? good / bad
any opinions?
Post edited by pitdogg2 on

Comments

• jacks2start
    jacks2start Posts: 98
    edited January 2014
    i really dont know
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2014
    I've tried Matsu****a/National tubes to good effect. I think they used Mullard toolings.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,507
    edited January 2014
    I also have used (and still have) some of the Matsu$hita/National tubes, in the 7DJ8 variety. Very nice sounding. I think it was Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio who claimed that they used Mullard tooling. Can't attest to the validity of this, but they are definitely good quality tubes.

Also can't say whether the Ratheon ones you are looking at are of comparable quality or not, but they are probably worth trying.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited January 2014
    I've had good luck with Matsu****a/National/Toshiba 6dj8s types also. Good sounding tubes! Unfurtunay I have no experience with the tubes you are looking at.
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2014
    i really dont know

Well you can QUIT padding your post count!!! If you do not have ANY experience then do not comment. Frivolous post can be taken away it happens and you can start all over or be banned.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2014
    For sn7's I would stick with some sylvan iras. Plenty to be had.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,106
    edited January 2014
    billbillw wrote: »
    I also have used (and still have) some of the Matsu$hita/National tubes, in the 7DJ8 variety. Very nice sounding. I think it was Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio who claimed that they used Mullard tooling. Can't attest to the validity of this, but they are definitely good quality tubes.

Also can't say whether the Ratheon ones you are looking at are of comparable quality or not, but they are probably worth trying.

I knew I read that Mullard tooling spiel from somewhere! Not surprised it came from Kevin Deal :P.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    edited January 2014
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well you can QUIT padding your post count!!! If you do not have ANY experience then do not comment. Frivolous post can be taken away it happens and you can start all over or be banned.

Both comments have good advice.

That said; interesting, I've never seen Japan made Raytheons but don't kow 6SN7's too well. I think George's advice is good.

Mullard tooling is good (of course), but only part of what makes a good tube. The materials used also determine what makes a good tube.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2014

Well got these yesterday

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221344434283&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

May be the last ones I get for awhile unless a GREAT deal falls into my lap. I found a list someone had put together on one of those other sites when I googled great sounding tubes. The Raytheon's VT-231(box anode) were on top. I know these are not them but just trying to get ears on as many as I can to make an informed decision anyway Raytheons keep coming up over and over out there in cyberland.

last question in my reading it seem I'm confused did Sylvania make RCA's or did RCA make Sylvania or did they switch off at some time. I don't know seems to go round and round in the DIY pages
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2014
    As far as that Mullard tooling I do know on 6ak5's that Russia started making Mullards for those with Mullard tooling and the sound like poopola....
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2014
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I'd buy them. The seller has 100% feedback with 20K transactions, He's most likely not going to sell you crap.

Completely understand Sal, But being that 1 they were made in the 60's and have gray plates both which from my understanding are a little on the undesirable side. That is why I differed to the higher powers that be:smile:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,151
    edited January 2014
    I doubt those are made on Mullard tooling. Some of the later small signal tubes were made on tooling set up by Mullard. There are numerous choices for 6SN7's to be messing around with these. But if you think they are a bargain and will sound good go for it. But what base line do you have it to compare to?

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    edited January 2014
    I once purchased some Mullard branded 6GH8A's that were made in Japan. I got them for a Dynaco ST70II I once had. I unfortunely never got the chance to hear as the amp blew up before I could use them.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2014
    heiney9 wrote: »
    There are numerous choices for 6SN7's to be messing around with these. But if you think they are a bargain and will sound good go for it. But what base line do you have it to compare to?H9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291042322519?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

well if this was aimed at me the link with a similar pair for 200.00......
    man Brock give me a break will yea. I have absolutely no idea how they sound hence I thought I was doing some due diligence here:frown:
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2014
    this is what you want-- shop around-- I have a pair-- in my headphone amp-- they are very good

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6SN7-Tube-Types/Sylvania-5692-Brown-Base
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • heiney9
    edited January 2014
    Wasn't trying to bust your balls. Must pointing out that if you have no baseline, then they will probably sound pretty good. There are some Japanese made and India made small signal tubes made by tooling set up by Philips from the late 60's and early 70's that are stated to be good alternatives to actual Blackburn or Heerlen made tubes. Electro Home organ company was out of Canada and also produced tubes on Philips equipment they are said to be a good alternative as well.

Personally I'd rather have the real thing. I absolutely LOVE the 1950's Sylvania 6SL7 short black plate chrome domes w/sq getter. This is a direct cousin the same Sylvania 6SN7.......those are the ones to get, IMO. I'm out.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited January 2014
    I use 6SN7s in a couple of pieces and have to agree with there being a lot of great choices to jack around with an unknown but hey its your money. Want to try something different than NOS try Treasure CV-191s or what ever they are called. Sound great and are new production.

I have some Japan made Mullard 6er5s and the Holland made BB 6er5s kill them. The Japan made MUllards are on par with US made 6ER5s which are not anything special either but the Bugle Boys sound great.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • heiney9
    edited January 2014
    This is an example of not believing what you read. I truly think this seller has no malicious intent, he's just misinformed or has drawn the wrong conclusion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATIONAL-6L6GC-MULLARD-M-DATES-2-Tubes-VINTAGE-CONSUMER-ELECTRONICS-NOS-NEW-6L6-/291034408180?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43c300a4f4

These are National brand 6L6GC's that say "made in England" National was strictly a relabel-er. The one's shown in the link are clearly (as in no doubt) Russian made. Two things give it away 1) Mullard never manufactured their own 6L6GC's of this type 2) Cup getters that look like that always indicate a Russian tube.

This is loosely related to some Japanese labeled tubes, the origin can be muddy waters and if in doubt it's best to pass. In fact you'd probably see it the other way around, actual Japanese sourced tubes labeled as the real mccoy.

Just something interesting I ran across this morning while searching Ebay, that loosely relates.

H9

P.s. He's priced them along the lines of being real Mullards.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2014
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well got these yesterday

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221344434283&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

May be the last ones I get for awhile unless a GREAT deal falls into my lap. I found a list someone had put together on one of those other sites when I googled great sounding tubes. The Raytheon's VT-231(box anode) were on top. I know these are not them but just trying to get ears on as many as I can to make an informed decision anyway Raytheons keep coming up over and over out there in cyberland.

last question in my reading it seem I'm confused did Sylvania make RCA's or did RCA make Sylvania or did they switch off at some time. I don't know seems to go round and round in the DIY pages

Somehow I missed this.................great buy! I own the same tubes in 6SL7's (same construction, materials, etc, just a different rating) and they are superb in my office rig. In fact I have been hoarding them as I have 4 pairs and a single. :smile:

No doubt you should enjoy these. The transparency is stunning, and the soundstage is like being in the front row. In fact I have almost stopped rolling tubes in that 6SL7 position because these are THAT GOOD. Looking forward to your impressions as IIRC, you have other driver tubes in the mix which might influence the sound of these.

H9
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited January 2014
    The best 6SL7 sub I heard is Shuguang / Psvane Treasures CV181-Z in my Rogue Tempest III Super Magnum Integrated.

I had tried all other variants (RCA, SYLVANIA, and JAN, EH, Sovtek) of the 6SL7 but these big bottles CV181 sounds more balanced and full. They are a bit spendy though.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • heiney9
    edited January 2014
    megasat16 wrote: »
    The best 6SL7 sub I heard is Shuguang / Psvane Treasures CV181-Z in my Rogue Tempest III Super Magnum Integrated.

I had tried all other variants (RCA, SYLVANIA, and JAN, EH, Sovtek) of the 6SL7 but these big bottles CV181 sounds more balanced and full. They are a bit spendy though.

All of them, eh. There are several RCA's and Sylvania's, I assume you tried all 8 or 10 them of various constructions and years of production since they all sound a little different. How did the NU, Tung Sol, Ken Rad, Valvo, Brimar sound? I wouldn't walk across the street to get EH or Sovtek. JAN (Joint Army Navy) is a military rating, not a brand, unless you mean something else.

My second favorite is the 1950's Tung Sol black glass, round plate, brown base 6SU7GTY - talk about spendy and the very rare 1950's Brimar (STC) 6SL7, ECC35....very spendy as well. And what about the stellar Swedish Standard 3S29B/5691? If Bendix Aviation made a 6SL7, this would be it and they are only $250/pr if you can even find them. They are superb. But then I am getting off topic now.

H9
  • megasat16
    edited January 2014
    All of them, eh.

I had tried all other variant (RCA, SYLVANIA, and JAN, EH, Sovtek) does not mean I had tried ALL of them. It's a BIG world and a handful of old tubes to be saying something like that. :) There are plenty of 6SN7 with different construction, I figured but they all sounds more or less the same as the driver tube in the amp.

The only thing I really like from the group of 6SN7 I tried is the Sylvania. I honestly don't want to try more 6SL7 after I tried the CV181-Z. It's a big bottle tube near the size of 6550 and the plate is twice as long as the other regular 6SN7. :)

Anyway, I'll keep in mind to try the Tung Sol and Brimar when I find them at a reasonable price and my mind may change. Who knows? There is a saying - never ever never. ;-)
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • heiney9
    edited January 2014
    I am sorry, but when some says "all of them", not sure how else it can be taken. I wasn't trying to bust your balls, just trying to get clarification.

Rock on and enjoy the tunes

H9
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2014
    Somehow I missed this.................great buy! I own the same tubes in 6SL7's (same construction, materials, etc, just a different rating) and they are superb in my office rig. In fact I have been hoarding them as I have 4 pairs and a single. :smile:

No doubt you should enjoy these. The transparency is stunning, and the soundstage is like being in the front row. In fact I have almost stopped rolling tubes in that 6SL7 position because these are THAT GOOD. Looking forward to your impressions as IIRC, you have other driver tubes in the mix which might influence the sound of these.

H9

No other tubes Brock it is for my Yaqin CD3. I had a CD2 wich was good but this new one takes it to a whole new level of tube goodness. Even with the stock Chinese tube it's way better in my rig. I also found the 6sl7 you alluded to. Do you find that between the 6sn7 and 6sl7 any difference in sound stage? Compared to the CD2(6ak5) the CD3 has a HUGE sound stage top,bottom,left and right just huge.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2014
    6SN7 and 6SL7 are basically just octal versions of the 12AX7 and 12AU7 in general terms. A push was made at the time for smaller tubes, hence a 9 PIN tube was born to be used in common electronics that formerly used the 6SN and 6SL. Making the tubes and sockets smaller meant smaller electronics, etc. However the octal tubes continued to be produced along with the 9 PIN tubes.

There are some minor difference between same 6SN7 and 6SL7, but nothing huge, they are far more similar than dissimilar when talking about same construction/materials, etc.

Enjoy your new piece and definitely roll a few different 6SN7's and variants when time/$$$ permits.

H9
  • megasat16
    edited January 2014
    I am sorry, but when some says "all of them", not sure how else it can be taken. I wasn't trying to bust your balls, just trying to get clarification.

Rock on and enjoy the tunes

H9

No Problemo H9!

I meant "All other variant (emphasis of the things I tired)". I know you are not trying to bust anything but Semantics?

I for one haven't found the souls you are talking about. :) My souls probably is still in the solid state preamps after I had personally modded and fully recapped (I meant all the lytics and the film/foil caps) a nice Manley Control Master Line Preamp with two sets of 1960s NOS Mullards from Upscale. Well, it is darn good but is it better than the SS I had experienced?

I always AB the good stuff just to be sure what good really means.

It's a big world so the jury is out there somewhere I haven't looked.