Plans for my system..Need help..

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey my name is kirk..
I have a durango and i was thinking of putting two of Polks 15 inch subs in my durango. But i was thinking of power. I dont want to run my battery low every time i turn my car on. Would it be smart to install a second battery? i havent had much experience with systems ..so with this much bass, would i have to worry about my windows at all(this may sound dumb)? And finnaly would the sound of two 15"inch subs be better than just one or what? please reply if u have any info for me...i would appreciate it. Thx
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    You wont need 2 batteries unless youre planning on going into the 5000 watt range. You may want to upgrade to an Optima Yellow Top battery and leave it at that. Your alternator should be a 136 amp job so I would say you will be fine.

Windows? Um...no you wont have to worry about your windows. The only concern youll have with windows is somebody breaking one out in order to steal your subs.

One or two subs? Well it depends. If youre wanting a warehouse of output then the more the better. Two 15" subs will move more air than a wind tunnel, but you dont really need 2. You go out and get a single 15" sub and stick 500+ rms to it and I can all but guarantee you that it will be all youll ever need. Unless youre wanting to impress all your buddies, break SPL records, be heard 1/2 mile down the road or just love tons and tons of bass, I dont really see the need in more than one sub.

Try a Diamond Audio CM3 15" and a Rockford Fosgate Power 551s. Thats a top end sub with 550 crystal clear watts. I doubt youll need anything more.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    well obviously, 2 is going to be louder than one
    so if you want it louder...get 2
    if you dont, stick with one...
    im not a big fan of 15s b/c they dont have the sound quality i like
    15s are made for boom
    you like boom...get 15s
    you wont need an extra battery
    extra batteries come in the 1650-2000 watt range
    and windows wont be a problem
    if space is an issue, id get 1 12" ID(Image Dynamics) Max
    put 1000 watts to it and call it a day
    that one sub would be as loud as those 2 15s
    it wont be as "showy" though
    so if youre into that...go with 15s
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2004
    a singel 1,000 w amp isn't going to kill anything... i'd dump the stock 650 cca battery and upgrade to a 900 / 1000 or get something bigger if possible.

the 69 dollar pep boys energizer will do fine.

your alternator is either a 117 amp or 136 amp -- finding out which would be nice, but wont make a difference.

make sure you use a new cd player as well -- don't go tapping into speaker wires with lineo ut converters, they suck horribly.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited February 2004
    keep in mind the simple rule of thumb that you add 3 db's to your sound every time you double the power and number of subs so two equally powered 15's should only give you 3 db's more than 1 with the same amount of power. it all depends on how much you're willing to spend, if you give us your budget we can give you a little better advice... and while you go to listen to diamond as previously suggested make sure you treat your ears to the warmth of the TDX subs they make, those are some gorgeous sounding subs, loud as hell when properly powered too :D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2004
    kid is lookin to spend 3 bills not 6 bills...

two momo 15's ought to hammer a durango quite well.

anything more than that and you're going to have to change all your speakers over (wyhich you'll probably already need to do), but not only change them and power them with deck power but instead change them to high pwoer models and use amps on them.

you can probably get away with a high pwoer deck (ie. alpine ) and 4 polk db coaxils along with the two momo 15's off like 400 - 500 watts each.

if you go anything higher power than that you're gonna have to amp your fronts and get something like db or momo components as well as amp(s) for those.
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited February 2004
    i figgured that the TDX's would be outa his range i was just sayin that if he was gonna be at a diamond retailer they're definately worth a demo
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2004
    well a viper is worth a demo too... lol... but it would just make me sad that i couldn't afford it :)