DIY subwoofer option 15 inch

Options
thejck
thejck Posts: 849
edited January 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
which is a better cleaner driver for a more refined application of music. While i watch a lot of movies I prefer music and want something accurate and clean.

Looking at the 15 inch drivers from the Dayton Reference line the HO or the HF vs the SI 15 inch that is on closeout sale right now.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-468
vs
http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=60

I know the SI has higher xmax but I like the aluminium cone of the dayton and wonder if it would be a more accurate driver?

Price wise they are about equal shipped to me.

They will go in a sealed 3cuf box.
Post edited by thejck on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2014
    Options
    That's too large of an enclosure for the HF.

The HO, Titanic IV, or Ultramax would work better in that size enclosure...the UM being the closest competitor to the SI. http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-um15-22-15-ultimax-dvc-subwoofer-2-ohms-per-coil--295-514 Also worth noting, the UM has much less LE(inductance), meaning less distortion.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • thejck
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I am not set on the box size thought i would rather not go more that 3cuf. I would like to pick a driver first and a smaller box would always be welcome. I am just looking for the best driver I can afford. The Um is only 20 bucks more.

so forgive me if i am not that knowledgeable about the various ratings but what you are saying is that with the UM I would be able to build a more accurate sub?
    that might have to work a little extra to go as low as the SI would be able too because of the slightly less xmax

Since for music you need something that is fast and accurate would it be a better option to go with the UM?
  • Face
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The UM will have less distortion and sound cleaner when built correctly and properly placed in your room.

Just a FYI, multiple subs will have flatter response than a single larger sub.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Myself, I picked up a SI HT15 that I plan to use for Movies and Music. I have always been wanting to do a sealed 15"....just seem to be suited to my taste. My room is not that large and the sub combined with the RT3000P's up front will be more than enough for me. When i looked at the 15" in WinSD the numbers looked good. The Dayton Ultramax looked good also but I like the overall Qts number of the HT15 in a 2.6-3.0 cu ft enclosure. Great price...I should have bought two. Now I need to decide what amp...500 watts Plate vs. pro....
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • thejck
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I like the idea of multiple subs too.
    I would probably be fine with dual 12's. If I can afford it would it be better to build the dual 15's and that way they will never have to work as hard?

There is only a 20 buck difference between the UM - 15 vs 12
  • thejck
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The HF driver has the lower LE than the Ultimax.
    http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-468

What would be the ideal size sealed cabinet for it?
    If I am doing 2 seperate subwoofers would this be a better option vs the Ultimax if quality is more important?
  • Face
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The HF driver can be used in the bottom of a three way as it's breakup is further up. I believe this is due to having a thinner cone.

Without room gain, in a 3ft^3 cabinet with stuffing it would have a -3 of 32hz, -10 of 20hz, and a Q of .8. With room gain, expect a -3 in the low 20's.

Two separate HF's would definitely be better than a single UM.
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    Options
    been a year since your post regardless I bought a QSC gx5 for my sub since I wanted more clean power and my needs were higher .
    I found plate amps have poor dampening and lots of distortion .