passive radiators for RTA-15TL?

Options
Soverign
Soverign Posts: 11
edited January 2014 in Forum Testing Area
Howdy all, I have the 15tls, a pair of them, and the man I got them from told me that the original radiators were bad {Rear}, and he replaced them with I believe, regular woofers? So, is that going to be a problem for me? So far, the speakers seem to work well, and I have yet to pull the passives to check both front and rear.......
So, what should one do in this situation? Thanks for anyones help.....Cheers
Post edited by Soverign on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Yes, that is a problem for you. The PR's are frequency tuned and whatever was used to replace them isn't going to be.

If they have been replaced you will need to find the proper PR's and eBay is likely to be the only place you'll find any.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Soverign
    Soverign Posts: 11
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Thanks F1nut....I thought that would be the case. A few folks I have heard take off the magnets on different type woofers, and do something else, to make the new woofer similar to the old style. I wonder why Polk won't, or does not make, an replacement for these really cool speakers?
    Out for now, and thanks again
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I haven't heard of doing that before, but I can't see it working. If one removes the magnet then the voicecoil shifts, which will cause a scratchy sound. If one removes the voicecoil that still leaves the problem of the proper weighting of the cone to achieve the correct frequency. At best, I would call that a ghetto move. The same frequency issue applies to adding a resistor across the terminals.

At least one of the reasons Polk no longer sells the PR's is that they rarely go bad.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jersmith
    jersmith Posts: 11
    edited January 2014
    Options
    They are a valid design approach and are easily tunable. Some fine speakers and credible designers have used passive radiators.. including Polk, ESS AMT, JBL