DB650 or DB6500

Demonoids777
Demonoids777 Posts: 14
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I currently own the DB650s and was wondering if anyone could give me some incite to whether I should keep the 650s or pay the extra $100 and buy the 6500s. Would I be gaining a lot in sound quality or is there basically no difference in the quality of sound I will get. The speakers are being hooked up to an MTX Thunder 6304 Amp, with a Kenwood KDC-322 HU (which will be replaced very soon.) I also had the MOMO MMC650s for about a week and ended up switching them out for the DB650s Because my rear speakers are DB570s and the MOMOs just drownded them out. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Post edited by Demonoids777 on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    well i cant tell you if its worth the extra 100 or not
    most of the regulars of this forum probably would, b/c most desire great sound quality
    which is what you will get when you upgrade from coaxials to components
    you get a tweeter that you can move to get it in a good position
    the tweeter is not obstructing the woofer
    it has a better crossover
    your best bet is to go to circuit city
    listen to both
    then decide
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    Yessir, I couldnt agree more. Compontents are going to sound better than a coax. Just like my man said, you get better placement and a better crossover. Also there isnt a tweeter blocking the path of the sound waves coming from the woofer. And in some cases, you get a better tweeter in the component set than in the coax.

The main reason tho is for the placement. Imaging is everything. You can have the best sounding speakers in the world (Focal Utopias :D ) but it wont matter when your soundstage is under the dash and all on the right side! With components you can place your tweets to where they bring the stage just where it ought to be, about halfway up the windshield and in fron of you.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D