Anyone try Nanotec cables yet?

Options
billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,189
edited January 2014 in 2 Channel Audio
I've been reading a lot of good stuff on Nanotec Systems cables from Japan. It seems they can be especially good for the price. I think I am going to try a set of the Golden Strada SP#79 Special/SR pair written about here:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nanotec6/1.html

Just wondering if anyone else here has tried these.
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    edited January 2014
    Options
    how much for a pair of Golden Strada #79?
  • billbillw
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Prices are listed in the 6moons review (in Yen). If you do the double run SP/SR set like the last page of the review talks about, it works out to about $20/meter for the raw cable. So that would be somewhere in the range of $120-$150 for a finished DIY set of 8 footers (unless you went with really high end terminations).

You do have to be creative to get a set from Japan though. Most Japanese sellers won's ship to USA.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited January 2014
    Options
    They do look interesting. Apparently the results were superb when using the specials for return and the SP's for signal. These guys have them in stock:

http://store.jaguaraudiodesign.com/nanotec-systems-sr-sp-speaker-cable-kit/

Might be a little cheaper if you can buy direct from Japan, but this is convenient.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • billbillw
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Not just a little cheaper, its significantly cheaper getting directly from Japan. Jaguar wants $190 for a 2.5m set of bare cable (that would be ~8ft pair). I ordered 5m of each cable from Amazon.jp for just about $100. There will be another $30-$40 added by the forwarding service, but should still be at least $50 cheaper.
  • drumminman
    edited January 2014
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Not just a little cheaper, its significantly cheaper getting directly from Japan. Jaguar wants $190 for a 2.5m set of bare cable (that would be ~8ft pair). I ordered 5m of each cable from Amazon.jp for just about $100. There will be another $30-$40 added by the forwarding service, but should still be at least $50 cheaper.

I cut and pasted the price into google and converted it to US dollars, but it converted into chinese yuan instead of Japanese Yen. You're right, about $40 for 5 meters.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • B Run
    B Run Posts: 1,888
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Jaguar also sells Zu and overcharges for them, even though they're factory direct at cheaper prices.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Nanotec? Another great use of scientific naming. From the site:

During CES 2006 Japanese company Nanotec Systems introduced their first prototype of the Golden Strada #79 loudspeaker cable to the assembled audio world in Las Vegas. The presentation was a success to warrant full production of this cable. Nanotec’s unique use of nano-sized gold and silver particles dispersed in a colloid with natural oil is the secret to their cable quality. Coating copper wire with this colloid prevents oxidation of the copper and enhances overall electric properties.

That sounds very interesting, but I'd feel a lot better if a couple of my Engineering friends would read this and give it a thumbs up or thumbs down. Because I am quite capable of writing in "scientese", myself. And "I" would never trust "ME"!

That said it is possible these are great cables.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • billbillw
    edited January 2014
    Options
    cnh wrote: »

During CES 2006 Japanese company Nanotec Systems introduced their first prototype of the Golden Strada #79 loudspeaker cable to the assembled audio world in Las Vegas. The presentation was a success to warrant full production of this cable. Nanotec’s unique use of nano-sized gold and silver particles dispersed in a colloid with natural oil is the secret to their cable quality. Coating copper wire with this colloid prevents oxidation of the copper and enhances overall electric properties.

That sounds very interesting, but I'd feel a lot better if a couple of my Engineering friends would read this and give it a thumbs up or thumbs down. Because I am quite capable of writing in "scientese", myself. And "I" would never trust "ME"!

cnh

I'm an engineer with a couple material science and metallurgy classes under my belt. From the description alone, I would say its a load of BS, but the 6moons review made me curious. There are several other positive reviews around the web as well. For the price, its seems worth a try.
  • billbillw
    edited January 2014
    Options
    My cables are on there way from Japan. I used Amazon.jp and Tenso. Tenso's forwarding charge was less than I thought (only ~$20), so it will end up being a full $70 cheaper than an equivalent set from Jaguar Audio. Will update when I've had a chance to finish them and listen/compare with my Slates.
  • drumminman
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The reviews on 6moons have me seriously considering these. Looking forward to your impressions. What cables are you using now that they'll have to beat?
  • billbillw
    edited January 2014
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    The reviews on 6moons have me seriously considering these. Looking forward to your impressions. What cables are you using now that they'll have to beat?

I have an old set of round Audioquest Slate Bi-wire cables. I am probably going to cut those in half and re-terminate them to get a better comparison. The Slates are about 20' long, more than double what I actually need.
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited January 2014
    Options
    cnh wrote: »

cnh

sounds like a fancy way of saying gold and silver plated copper
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • drumminman
    edited January 2014
    Options

BB, did your cables arrive? Have you had a chance to put them in your rig?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I have an old set of round Audioquest Slate Bi-wire cables. I am probably going to cut those in half and re-terminate them to get a better comparison. The Slates are about 20' long, more than double what I actually need.

Bill thought about selling them?
  • billbillw
    edited January 2014
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    BB, did your cables arrive? Have you had a chance to put them in your rig?

The cables arrived, but I don't have a rig right now. Still waiting for my new integrated to arrive. Should have it this weekend though. I'm also still waiting for some new spade connectors to terminate the Nanotec.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Bill thought about selling them?

After I cut the Slates in half and re-terminate, I will try the shorter Slates in comparison to the Nanotec cables. After some time, will probably keep the ones I prefer most and sell the other set(s).
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    edited January 2014
    Options
    well after you cut them I'm not interested. I seen 20' and just thought I'd check nothing serious just the right length so If the price was right for me. I'd be moving up from Signal Cable Ultra's. I already have some AQ interconnects so anyhoots.

To be honest I do not believe that extra length will make a difference in theory that is...
  • billbillw
    edited January 2014
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    well after you cut them I'm not interested. I seen 20' and just thought I'd check nothing serious just the right length so If the price was right for me. I'd be moving up from Signal Cable Ultra's. I already have some AQ interconnects so anyhoots.

To be honest I do not believe that extra length will make a difference in theory that is...

I think it may be that the theory says there is a difference, but in practical use, there may not be much noticeable difference. In theory double the length means double the impedance, double the inductance, and double the capacitance.