The club polk high end rig picture thread

Options
polkfarmboy
polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
edited January 2014 in 2 Channel Audio
Well my gear is just kind of growing so I think I made this list by the skin of my teeth and consider my rig entry level high end. I would like to see polkies post pics of the here with those high end rigs. I do have the big HT setup but would like to keep the thread 2ch.

I would also publicly request a picture of F1's rig and hair on this thread too.
Post edited by polkfarmboy on

Comments

• polkfarmboy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The speakers are missing
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited January 2014
    Options
    hope this counts...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Wow.........Killer looking TT!!!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Here's my entry for the best sub $500 rig category...
    20131115_150055.jpg
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • polkfarmboy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    hope this counts...

It does for sure, I actually had envisioned a pic of those tube amps with those maggies
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I would consider as lower highend

IMG_2329.JPG
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • polkfarmboy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Thats a 5k preamp Txc, said to be one the best out there.
  • txcoastal1
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I just consider $1-$15K Low Hi-Fi, $15k-$50K mid and $50k plus high end. There is so much crazy stuff out there to drive a rigs price up....especially turntables/phono etc
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited January 2014
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I just consider $1-$15K Low Hi-Fi, $15k-$50K mid and $50k plus high end. There is so much crazy stuff out there to drive a rigs price up....especially turntables/phono etc

High end to me certainly fits your descriptions, but I interpret high end to be simply be that place in the audio path where the individual listener finds their journey to be complete, and that the money spent has been replaced by the law of diminished returns.

For some that is reached by an I-Pod and a set of ear buds. Others find that with a set of MMG's and an Emo. Still others will build their own gear and others will spend millions in their quest to have the best, and will never find a result that pleases them. For most of us however, in all of that, we will each find our bliss.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited January 2014
    Options
    im just try to find speakers, and get home to use my stuff.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • txcoastal1
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Absolutely John,

I personally think there is so great gear in the price range that I play in, that I see no need spending that kind of crazy coin. Especially if your patient and willing to purchase used.

• seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I agree with coastal who agrees with john. but i dont have the leisure of as much to spend with though, so im buyin used and trying to piece together a system of the best i can get for the least money. so far, i've got the HK 3490, a Parasound 1200 MKII, an RPH 1010 sub, for about $1100, and for HT i have whats in my signature, for about 950, plus another 600 for a set of monitor 30's and some deftech promonitor 800's, and 2 PSW 505's that will be worked in. None of it was all bought together, and it all would have cost A LOT more buying new, or at full price, got lucky some were clearance or marked down for being old models.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • txcoastal1
    edited January 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'd be curious just what kind of system you would have if you consolidated and had a truly dedicated 2 channel room. That isn't who you are, but its still intriguing to think about.

No telling at this time. We are planning to build a home in the next couple years and will be adding a dedicated 14x20 2chl room. This room will also be my office and will most probably still have a near field rig with monitors and tower rig. I just like to run genre's through different speakers because there is no perfect speaker. That is the reason for my wants for a pair of Sanders or Maggies for the variety.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited January 2014
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »

I'm hoping to step up to the "Black Edition" soon....

14740244_201308210914.jpg

heh. Poseur.
    Go analog, or go home...

11760641233_7ebc7e68ec_b.jpg
    fptt by mhardy6647, on Flickr
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    edited January 2014
    Options
    This is not a rig but...........daggum!!! If you only knew how much these speakers cost..... *passes out*

46553_10152094880011066_1527722594_n.jpg
    I would also publicly request a picture of F1's rig and hair on this thread too.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Found the rig....

1475980_10152092968481066_702468945_n.jpg

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Marten is one of the manufacturers that I have yet to get my ears on that I really would love to hear. That said there is more money in acoustic tratments and ceiling diffusers than in my entire rig.

Nice set up

• treitz3
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I hear ya'. I'm wondering why they would have the carpet at or behind the speakers and in not in front of. Unless the room is so large that the first reflective point is further back than I am thinking based upon the pic itself.

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Would like to see the entire room. I am sure they had an engineer set this room up. I have never seen ceiling diffusers quite like the the ones in the pics and i am sure they were designed around the aesthetics of the room.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited January 2014
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I'm wondering why they would have the carpet at or behind the speakers and in not in front of.

They don't want to scratch the speaker legs, or the Pass amps.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I concur but still. With all of the dough spent on the acoustics throughout the room, why? That's a LOT of reflective surface on that floor.

Tom
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited January 2014
    Options
    One word:

"Fascinating."
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I hear ya'. I'm wondering why they would have the carpet at or behind the speakers and in not in front of. Unless the room is so large that the first reflective point is further back than I am thinking based upon the pic itself.

Tom

That's a hotel room.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jacks2start
    jacks2start Posts: 98
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Found the rig....

1475980_10152092968481066_702468945_n.jpg

Tom

wow thats a setup
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Come on Jesse lets see it........
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I concur but still. With all of the dough spent on the acoustics throughout the room, why? That's a LOT of reflective surface on that floor.

Tom

It gets more interesting: look at the pic of just the speaker. It might be an optical illusion, but they appear to have laid the wood on top of the carpet, which would make it a calculated decision. Certainly the opposite of what I've seen in the past.

For example:
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,189
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Here is a blog on the room, treatments, etc.
    http://marten.se/blog/tag/coltrane-supreme-2/

There is another photo that shows the room from further back from the seating position You are correct. The room is entirely carpeted, but they put down a small section of hard floor surface in between the listening spot and the speakers. Maybe the room was acoustically dead after all the treatment and needed a bit of liveliness added.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • billbillw
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Even more photos at this blog:
    http://cybwiz.blogspot.com/2014/01/marten-coltrane-supreme-2-with-pass.html

Strangely, most of the photos floating around of the various Marten speakers show them showcased in rooms with hard floors. Perhaps they are designed to sound best in Scandinavian homes with hard floors?
  • txcoastal1
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I didn't realize it was a portable demo room and the pics are in a hotel meeting room, tis the reason for the hardwoods on the carpet. I thought it was someones listening room.

Very nice

• billbillw
    edited January 2014
    Options
    BTW, in case anybody isn't aware, those Marten speakers above have a retail price of something close to $500k. They have taken the title of "world's most expensive speaker" away from the previous Coltrane Supreme which was something like $360k. Who buys these things?

Also, those room photos are from right now at CES. If your near Vegas, go give them a listen ;)