Polk MMC650 Install

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I got the MMC690 for my honda civic and was wondering how I would go about wiring them to my car. The manual they come with shows a picture with the crossover going to both and tweeter and subwoofer inputs then going to an amp out. I do not have an amp installed I just have the + and - wires of the rear speaker. How would I go about hooking them up without an amp? What about with an amp? Hope someone can help.Thanks alot.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    Just hook the + and - from your head unit to the + and - of the crossover. It then splits the output to the appropriate speaker. You have to really try to hook them up wrong. The + and - is clearly marked and the tweeter outputs will only fit on the tweeter terminal and likewise for the midrange. Its idiot proof.

You should really consider buying an amp. That head unit isnt going to have near enough **** to push those speakers to justice. You need at least 50 rms of good clean power for them to treat ya right.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    By the + and - of my head unit do you mean the + and - of the speaker wire that is where the speaker will be mounted? Also I hava a rockford fosgate amp 301s that is two channel will it be possible to hook my four factory speakers to this amp. How would I go about this. I know most is idiot proof but I dont want to mess anything up. Thanks alot.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    I mean the positive (+) and negative (-) of each speaker channel that is coming out of your cd player.

That amp would be a much better choice to power those speakers and it will run all 4. Just hook both left speakers to the left output and both right speakers to the right side output.

Wait, did you say factory speakers? I thought you had Momo 6x9s. That RF amp may blow puny factory speakers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    The rear speakers are Momo 6x9s. I got the Momo 6 1/2 for the front but they rub against the window so Im gonna have to make a custom mount when I have the time. Well I just hooked up the rears just like you said and they sound really good. My HU is a Jvc its 50x4 watts. As for the amp I think I will install it tomorrow since Im gonna have the front factory speakers in for a while. I have a question about wiring the amp up. How would I go about hooking up the speakers to the amp. The amp has a left and right RCA input and also has where to connect both left and right speakers. Where would I run the speaker wires from? Should I tap into the speakers themselves and run the wires from there or do I tap into them at the harness that goes into the HU? Thanks again.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    run the RCAs from the HU to the amp
    run the speaker wire from the amp to the speakers
    -Cody