Which Component Cable do you use ?

Options
tapeshc
tapeshc Posts: 135
Hi,

Just purchased Sony 34XBR910. Its a HD signal capable TV.

I had some spare AQ Sidewinder cables lying around so used those supposed to be audio cables as component cables.

Which cables are good or rather which one you are settled with.

Thanks in advance
Thanks

Tapesh
Post edited by tapeshc on

Comments

• Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I've taken to the practice of purchasing all of my cables from Frank at Signal Cable. Good prices for very solid products. That's all I have to say about that right now.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I concur with LC, as my HT is very heavy in the Signal Cable department.

I don't feel the need for super high speed, ultimate interconnects in my HT system....I just wanted real good, and SC provides that feeling for me. The 2CH setup will be another animal, most likely sans any SC, but its for another singular purpose to me.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2004
    Options
    tapeshc,

congrats on your new HD TV. i'm new to it too..

I went the route of monster video 3 component cables.. 2 meter ran me about $80.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I'm using Tributaries Delta 2M component cables bought from Audio Advisor's for $60.
  • goldendomer
    goldendomer Posts: 7
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Hi, i got a quote from heartland cable on 2 6ft sections on canare bi wired with banana plugs on each for $90.00 plus 9.00 s/h. what do you think. can signal cables beat that?
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Blue Jeans makes a cable similar to the Signal cable. Personally, I'm using Monster's basic component cable.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I ordered 2 Monster M1000 component video cables on Friday, using my dealer accomodation. Hopefully I will have them by the end of the week. I also ordered 2 M1000 coax cables, an M1000 digital coax, some QuickLock spades and bananas, and some rechargable batteries. ;)
  • tapeshc
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Its hard to imagine companies like signalcable/bluejeans or any other company using the same material can produce some thing superior to one another except for looks & all. CobaltCable is another player in that range with very good return policy and free shipping.

I will go with Bluejeans, very reasonably priced or CobaltCables or AudioQuest.
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2004
    Options
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180466

My cable shoot-out seems to have been deleted at Club Polk. But it survived over at HTF.

The lowest priced Monster cable that is fully rated for progressive scan DVD and HDTV is the Z300. I don't even think the Video 3 can carry the highest frequency signals without visible attenuation.

Monster doesn't publish its specs on frequecy vs. attenuation, so I guess you'll never know for sure.

Regardless, the raw Canare and the Belden cables listed on the Blue Jeans site are pro-grade cables used in the video industry.

Frank at SC prefers the Canare after careful comparison to the Belden, but both should be outstanding.

I use Frank because SC does very high quality termination work, and he is in my state. He offers CP members a discount too.

His prices are higher than BJC, but I don't care - it's not high enough to make it a deal breaker for me personally. Count me as a loyal SC customer.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Just speaking from the DVD output arena...

I got to demo a $200 Audioquest YIQ3 (yes, it was "broken in")component cable against my standard Monster component cable. As far as DVD output is concerned, I noticed no difference, I watched Nemo and Reloaded. However, I will note, the build quality on the Audioquest cable is impressive. Maybe there is a diff when it comes to HD, but I didn't have time to try that.

(Also got to demo a Denon 2200 in my home; now that made a diff!)

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • tapeshc
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Dr. Spec

Would you know how they terminate their cables, Do they Crimp or solder. BJ uses crimping and although by machine so it should maintain 75ohms. But my real concern is how can you maintain good contact with the main conductor without solder.

I recently(last Friday) got AQ YIQ1, I assume it should be good enough. I dont have any other cable to compare with so I would assume that its good being from AQ.
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I really don't know - I would ask Frank at SC to be sure.

When I inquired about BJC, he (like a true gentleman) refused to bad mouth them, but he did say "I pay my people very well and they do ultra high quality termination work, and you'll never have a problem with a connector coming loose or falling off."

Take that FWIW.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • walk
    walk Posts: 178
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by tapeshc
    Hi,

Just purchased Sony 34XBR910. Its a HD signal capable TV.

I had some spare AQ Sidewinder cables lying around so used those supposed to be audio cables as component cables.

Which cables are good or rather which one you are settled with.

Thanks in advance

You shouldn't use audio cables for video, unless they are 75-ohm rated (most are not).

As long as it's RG-59U, you really can't get anything better, no matter what outrageous price you pay...
    - Sony 50"A3000 SXRD; Onkyo TX-SR 805
    - Polk RTi150 mains; CSi30 center; FXi3 surrounds, R15 backs
    - Velodyne CHT-12 subwoofer