Apocalypse Now Redux

ducati
ducati Posts: 13
edited September 2002 in Music & Movies
Has anybody seen the aformentioned DVD? Just wondering how it compares to the original... Are the added scenes cool? How is the dolby digital sound?
Post edited by ducati on

Comments

• Firerider58
    Firerider58 Posts: 95
    edited December 2001
    I have it. It's pretty good, of course I'm biased since this has always been a favorite of mine. The extra scenes are interesting, but they do take awhile to get used to after having seen the original so many times. Be prepared to have the time to sit down and watch this,,,,it's a long one, and the soundtrack is great!

Ron
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2002
    Dug this old thread out. Hadn't seen this since it came out in the theaters, & my state of mind then was similar to Lance's throughout much of the movie, so I wasn't too clear on some of the details. Anyway, I found it totally absorbing. It's not meant to be a combat documentary disguised as an original story. Instead, it's a retelling of a short novel by Joseph Conrad called "Heart of Darkness", set in Vietnam instead of the Belgian Congo, where the book was set (around 1900?). Despite a lot of blood, bad language, & bullets, it's a very surreal film that is more about things like Western societies settling their scores in someone else's back yard, the limits of ends-justifies-the-means philosophy, & the old saying about be careful when looking into the abyss, because the abyss is looking back at you (Nietzsche?).
    I loved the book Black Hawk Down, because it was a nailbiter with meaningful insight & background. I have yet to see the movie because I have heard that they skip all that stuff & just get to the fighting. I'll probably see it, but I'm in no hurry to do so.
    Coppola's movie is a different kind of film. Altho I would never recommend a movie almost 4 hrs long just for the opening shot, the opening of this movie is as perfect as anything ever made--the beautiful setting, the choppers, "The End", the flames . . ..
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ducati
    ducati Posts: 13
    edited September 2002
    Glad you dug it out, now I'm going to go grab it!

Thanks for the link to the book... I'm more of a reader than a movie-fanatic so I'll check that out first.

Sounds like the movie is as appropriate today as back when it came out...
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited September 2002
    I loved the original movie, I really don't like Redux....the ending is different and I guess that's the part that bothers me the most, wish there was a dvd version of the original. For point of refrence though I hated the directors cut of Blade Runner as well, I missed the narration by Harrison Ford from the original.
    My 2 cents, Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2002
    Wait a sec... the end is different for redux? I've never seen the original. Is the original ending on the Redux at all?

What *is* the original ending?
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited September 2002
    Hey Phuz,
    The ending is longer in Redux, and you see the bomb strike they called in and The End is playing on by The Doors in the Original, from what I remember.............A lot more gloom and doom on the original (apocolyptic) (sp.) the ending that is.
    Peace, StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center