Do tweeters need to warm up ?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have some db690's that were fine for the first 3 months and the last couple weeks are now performing poorly for the first 15-30 minutes. When I first get into my vehicle in the morning it's cold (30-40 F) and the tweeters have static / symbol noise in them. It's like I'm listening to FM and their is static coming across from loss of signal, but I'm listening to a CD. After listening for 15-30 minutes the problem just goes away. The only thing I know is different is that my vehicle / speakers are now warmer. I'm in Atlanta and it's been 30-40 in the mornings for the last month when this problem started. It's not happening to my rear EX models so I wouldn't 'think' this could be an amp problem. Any ideas / suggestions ?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2004
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sorry, just couldn't help seeing the statement that 30-40 degrees is cold!

As far as tweeters warming up, 30-40 degrees isn't THAT cold and you probably shouldn't be seeing such a performance drop for that temperature.

Are you running these speakers off of a head unit or an amplifier? The issue could be your electronics are taking time to warm up and not your speakers.

As far as speakers warming up, yes, they do. You will notice decreased performance and that disparity intensifies as the temperature drops. All you can really do is play the stereo at moderate levels until it warms up. Then you can play it as loud as you want.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2004
    I bought my Alpine 9807 head unit and US Acoustics USB-4085 from Crutchfield. I don't recall making any adjustments to them when this problem arose it was only the temperature that I could think had changed. My amp is under the driver seat, your saying it' might be producing this static/tweeter noise until it warms up ?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2004
    Its possible.

It could also be a sign of a bad part going south.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    I dont know much about US Accoustic except that they are pretty cheap so you may want to look there first. If its a 4 channel simply reverse speaker wires so that the front channels are driving the rear speakers. If the rear speakers now have static then you know its the amp and that you need to save up and snag you a snazzy new Xtant 4.4 (for a mere $550!!). ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2004
    i've got an xtant 400.4t in the cadillac -- its a nice amp... but "mere 550" is kinda funny -- since when was 550 bucsk "mere" ??

we are a poor breed!!!!

i only paid $200-ish for the 400.4t new at sounddomain. couldn't complain much.

far as the temperature -- try 5 degrees - yes five - system plays fine after the two sub amps stop hissing -- takes about 10 minutes for them to warm up enough to stop making this electrical whine -- funy thing is they dont whine through the subs.... the noise is actually coming from the amplifier casings themselves. weird. there's nothing wrong with them, i know that much...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited February 2004
    yeah, a couple days ago when i hopped in my car to go to work when it was about 5 below 0 my mm6's fired up like champs and sounded just as gorgeous as always...
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.