Cable STB to receiver

Options
mgd99
mgd99 Posts: 84
Folks

My comcast box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100HD. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D912k

My question is the audio cabling.......the STB has the two Audio outputs for L/R (and the output for Video), it also has component video outputs, s-video outputs and one digital audio output.

I currently have the audio wiring going to the L/R audio jacks, video from the s-video (for standard channels) and composite cable for the Hi-Def channels.

Would I get better audio sound using the digital audio output (it does not say optical)?? It does not look like the optical digital audio receptors on my receiver, it looks like it would take a standard audio cable.

I am thinking that I am probably getting the best sound using the L/R outputs since twice the wire...........I am assuming that the other audio output would be less effective since, although it says digital, it doesn't say optical digital and everything would be passing through one standard cable.

am I right or wrong?

Also as a side question, what is the advantage of running the video cables from the DVD thru my receiver as opposed to straight into one of the video inputs on my TV? The receiver has all these video inputs for every device possible (except my STB) and I am thinking that I am going to get a better signal running straight into the TV instead of thru a reveiver and then to the TV.

This was so much easier with my old reciever which only had 8 different speaker wire connections and nothing else. Now I have about 80 inputs for audio and video with every conceivable manner.....composite, s-video, component , optical digital, etc....

TIA
Post edited by mgd99 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2004
    Options
    If it is not optical then it is Digital Coaxial. Just as good as Optical. Yes, go Digital for audio if your recievers allows it. You have to use Component to get anytype of upgraded signal, 480i on up.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by mgd99
    I currently have the audio wiring going to the L/R audio jacks, video from the s-video (for standard channels) and composite cable for the Hi-Def channels.
    TIA

no you don't want to do this.. Hi Def then using a composite video.. you will lower the quaility of the signal to much.. try to keep your video in the higest best resolution you can..

best - component or DVI
    ok - Svideo or SVHS same difference.
    bad composite video. - this is the lowest quailty. with lots of grain and noise in the video

audio..
    best is digital.. can be either optical or coax
    ok is left and right analog RCA connectors. this will not allow you to decode dolby digital or DTS.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mgd99
    mgd99 Posts: 84
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Thanks

I think scott mixed up composite and component. I know which is which, but say it wrong half the time.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I have to disagree, as I currently run S-Video over my Component, for DVD, and find it better than just "OK". I went to S-Video because I found the PQ better than the Component. My Comp. was actually just too short for the run, which led me back into S-Video, and I am very pleased with its performance.

As long as it looks good, then you have the connection you need. You don't have to have the latest and greatest technology, in order to have a real good picture.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I went to S-Video because I found the PQ better than the Component. My Comp. was actually just too short for the run, which led me back into S-Video, and I am very pleased with its performance.

As long as you don't care about high def then fine.

Doro make your own man... 75 ohm coax(59 series) terminated with an rca(you of all people can solder) will work better than s-vidio. Logic stands that seperate is alway better and i'll take 3 ok runs vrs 1 very good run. IMO

1/4twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I would CERTAINLY go digital (sounds like digital coaxial based on your description) out of the cable box and into the receiver. Maybe someone with a Pioneer can help you further with fine tuning the process.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I have absolutely zero interest in making my own cables.

Solder? What is that? ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • HBombToo
    edited January 2004
    Options
    ok lazy one konoby. give me specs and I'll make you some component vidio cables.. "Length"=

BEEEEATCH

:p

Twin whatchen NE dominate;)
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the offer, but I have more than enough cables. It isn't laziness, just no interest at all. Some things are just better left to the experts, IMO.
  • HBombToo
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the offer, but I have more than enough cables.

I save money for electronics by making my own cables. efffem imo... "show me" why not.

Twin and NE is taken the SB:p

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I have to disagree, as I currently run S-Video over my Component, for DVD, and find it better than just "OK". I went to S-Video because I found the PQ better than the Component. My Comp. was actually just too short for the run, which led me back into S-Video, and I am very pleased with its performance.

As long as it looks good, then you have the connection you need. You don't have to have the latest and greatest technology, in order to have a real good picture.
    Must not have tapped into HD and progressive scan at all. You also list no moniter on your Sig. Even with Progressive scan (480p) your missing out.
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I currently run HDTV, and use Component connections. I have not went progressive scan, due to the DVD-P limitations...that will change later, but its not a priority.

I get a great picture from the basic setup I have.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    You just stated you use S-Video with better results than Component. You are wasteing your HD Moniter if you are not at LEAST taking advantage of Progressive scan DVD. I'm sure you are getting a good picture quality but it can be alot better.
    I have not went progressive scan, due to the DVD-P limitations...
    What are you talking about?
    I have to disagree, as I currently run S-Video over my Component, for DVD
    :confused:
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I do not have a progressive scan DVD-Player.

I stated that I use the S-Video over the Component connection for the DVD player, not the HDTV broadcasts from Comcast, that is via Component connection. I am not wasting any connections at this time.
  • danger boy
    edited January 2004
    Options
    i've been using svideo for my connection for a few years now.. good PQ.. then i just recently.. got a new HDTV and now hook up the DVD player using component cables.. while there isn't a HUGE difference in PQ.. the colors are more vibrant and true using component over svideo.

try viewing Finding Nemo in svideo. the switch to component.. the colors are better and slightly different then when you use svideo.

in the end.. aren't you just glad you're not using composite? :p

al
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Alright - get it. But buy a progressive scan player. They are like under a $100 now. That is all I am saying. HD moniter with NO progressive scan dvd is kinda silly. Not dogging you out Doro but I would think you understand my point.
    I would never let a friend buy a HD moniter without going progressive dvd. Other than the outragous price of HD reciever and broadcasting, progressive dvd is the way to go.
    Like buying a full format dvd player and never trying DVDa/SACD.
    LOL:cool:
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    i've been using svideo for my connection for a few years now.. good PQ.. then i just recently.. got a new HDTV and now hook up the DVD player using component cables.. while there isn't a HUGE difference in PQ.. the colors are more vibrant and true using component over svideo.

try viewing Finding Nemo in svideo. the switch to component.. the colors are better and slightly different then when you use svideo.

in the end.. aren't you just glad you're not using composite? :p

al
    Thier will be VERY little difference if any unless you go progressive scan. (480p over standard S-Video dvd)
    Guys are killing me over here. :confused: LOL
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Scott - No, I understand :) ...the DVD player was here way before the HDTV. I plan on upgrading into progressive scan, just have a few projects going on, and can't handle another one right now :D

I will go back to Comp. when that comes around, but until then its ok for me.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Cool - I bet the HD broadcast looks awesome.
    Later:cool:
  • danger boy
    edited January 2004
    Options
    scott.. you're killing me..

leave progressive scan out of the discussion for just a minute.. just on pure connectivity between your DVD player and your monitor... without the progressive scan that the DVD player does..

PQ is and always will be better with component.. YES progressive scan. does improve the picture quite a bit.. i don't think anyone here will agrue that.. nothing wrong with svideo at all..

trust me on this.. no one is dissing progressive scan at all.

i know my stuff.. i've been working in television for over 20+ year.. with high broadcast quality cameras (i'm a televsion photojournalist), televisions that cost more than my car and until recently.. HDTV in it's purest form 1080i.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    scott.. you're killing me..

leave progressive scan out of the discussion for just a minute.. just on pure connectivity between your DVD player and your monitor... without the progressive scan that the DVD player does..

PQ is and always will be better with component.. YES progressive scan. does improve the picture quite a bit.. i don't think anyone here will agrue that.. nothing wrong with svideo at all..

trust me on this.. no one is dissing progressive scan at all.

i know my stuff.. i've been working in television for over 20+ year.. with high broadcast quality cameras (i'm a televsion photojournalist), televisions that cost more than my car and until recently.. HDTV in it's purest form 1080i.
    I do leave progressive scan out of the picture when the moniter is not an HD. Like my two other HT setups. I know Component is the better connection and that is what I always preach. But once again the differnce is greater with an HD TV like yours.
    Other than that just trying to help you guys out with HD moniter and no progressive scan DVD players. If you know sooo much, than a progressive player is no brainer. Buy one now. They are cheap as hell. I can even recommend for ya. You have already invested the money in an HDTV and with Doro even HD broadcast. LOL:cool:
  • danger boy
    edited January 2004
    Options
    i do have a progressive scan dvd player. so i'm set.. and yeah looks great with a HDTV. maybe PQ isn't as important to some people as you or me.. maybe the audio part of a dvd movie is more important than pq.. who knows..

just like for some people in here.. home audio/theater is very important. but not car audio. I"m not like that. i got my Polks in the car just as i do at home.. true i have not invested as much $$ in the car audio as i have the home audio front.. but it was still important enough to me to up the head unit and speakers over the stock crap that comes with most cars. for other people isn't not a must have.
  • dorokusai
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I just ran through the Supermarket today, swinging my SDA interconnect around my head, and yelling "Save your Confedrate money boys, the South will rise again!".....then I vomited on the floor and passed out.

Just trying to break the tension. :)
  • danger boy
    edited January 2004
    Options
    nice doro.. but you managed to keep your pants on huh? waaaaaaaa!
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    It's all good but Danger you seem not to be making any sence (point) and just arguing with your inner voice. Weird!!!!

PS: When I recently purchased my Eclipse I keep the 7 speaker Infinity system and added $1000 worth of bass and you can bet your A$$ it wasn't Polk. Only one reigns in the car department and they know it. It's right on the box.;)
  • danger boy
    edited January 2004
    Options
    so scottvamp.. you went with Bose in your car huh?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

stop making sense.. wasn't that a movie by Talking Heads?
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    You know Bose only rules in the Home Audio market.;)