What's in your boat?

Options
Green '01
Green '01 Posts: 60
I'm sure some of you guys have boats, and in this forum it's safe to assume those boats aren't sporting factory audio systems. I'm planning a small replacement system (four polk db651, a db1040, or db1240 sub, and a PA D5000.5 amp for a pontoon boat but haven't purchased anything yet, so I don't have any pics.
How about sharing what you have done for tunes on the water?
Post edited by Green '01 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited December 2013
    Options
    A nice waterproof Clarion head unit and a pair of Polk Atriums. It rarely get used because I'm out on the water to get away from the day to day BS, the wind and waves are all the music I want to hear.

Be respectful of those around you on the water, sound travels quite freely.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Green '01
    edited December 2013
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Be respectful of those around you on the water, sound travels quite freely.

I agree with you.
    I am always thoughtful of those around me, knowing how sound can travel. It's the main reason I was leaning toward the 10" sub until a Polk rep responded to my e-mail suggesting the 12" db1240. I may still go with the smaller of the two.
    We either go to a secluded cove or join friends and family at a sand bar where the music is appreciated - but still at a reasonable and respectful volume. I'm looking for quality sound, not a concert experience.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Good man.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jacks2start
    jacks2start Posts: 98
    edited January 2014
    Options
    cool, but i dont have a boat sadly.
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Make sure you do a good amp calculation on all your electronics. Will your alternator(s) and batteries be able handle the load?
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • Green '01
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Make sure you do a good amp calculation on all your electronics. Will your alternator(s) and batteries be able handle the load?

Good point, thanks. I intend to have a dedicated battery that will prevent me from having to try using a pull-cord to crank that 225HP outboard to get back in off of the lake. Don't know about the alternator's capability yet.
  • Easy Runnin
    edited February 2014
    Options
    What engin do you have?
  • Green '01
    edited February 2014
    Options
    What engin do you have?

It's an '06 Honda 225 4-stroke. It originally had only one battery, but I'm wanting to add a 2nd that can be charged along with the 1st one when the engine is running, but use a disconnect switch when anchored so stereo doesn't drain my starting battery.
  • Easy Runnin
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I'm not too familiar with the Hondas, I think it's a 60 Amp alternator. The bigger Yamahas can charge 2 batteries from one engine. If your honda cant do that look into a Blue Sea Systems Automatic charging relay. This will combine batteries when charging and isolate them when discharging.
  • Green '01
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I'm not too familiar with the Hondas, I think it's a 60 Amp alternator. The bigger Yamahas can charge 2 batteries from one engine. If your honda cant do that look into a Blue Sea Systems Automatic charging relay. This will combine batteries when charging and isolate them when discharging.

Perfect! That is what I was wanting to do, but thought I'd have to resort to a manual disconnect and remember to actually USE it.
    I'll look into it, thanks.
    Pretty sure the bigger outboard should charge both, since manufacturers would have to consider larger outboards (90hp & up) find their way to fishing boats with dual batteries for starting / trolling, live wells, fish finders, etc.
  • Green '01
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Update:
    Ran the tinned 16 ga. Speaker wire, installed the 4 Polk db651 speakers, put 6 coats of poly urethane on inside and outside of bare sealed box for the db1040 sub and mounted it on 2” tall pvc caps to keep it off the floor, in the enclosure under the console. Wire them up to a Polk PA D5000.5, connected to a Kenwood KMR-D358 (chosen for iPod, iPhone compatibility, and USB and aux inputs on front, as well as having 6 pre amp outputs at 2.5 volts).
    After tweeking the amp, the overall performance was impressive. We enjoyed it the first 4 times out on the lake, but on the fifth trip, got caught in a rain storm. Everything is marine-grade and the head unit is mounted in a weather resistant compartment with cover but apparently some “moisture” made its way in because now, the receiver seems to be stuck in “demo mode”. Checked to make sure it wasn’t set to “demo mode”, removed face plate to check the reset button, verified 12.6 VDC on red wire at head unit, but still no sound and it no longer turns on the amp via trigger wire.
    Dropped it off for warranty repair at authorized service center.

Have any of you guys experienced problems with Kenwood mobile receivers?
    I doubt that I can come up with a “weather PROOF” enclosure.
  • Easy Runnin
    edited July 2014
    Options
  • Green '01
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks. This is like the in-dash cover I have now:

radio cover.jpg

Will look into the one you suggested.
  • pjd2011
    pjd2011 Posts: 49
    Options
    "Old faithful" Clarion waterproof head unit feeding 4 Alpine SPS-600's on a 19ft pontoon. May not be the best out there but after a few beers in the sun it does just fine :)
    Computer nerd diving head first into quality audio.