sub box

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
If I were to make a sub box from MDF ( 1 or 2 10" subs), and then placed this box into a slightly larger metal container, would this affect the sound much? The metal box will be open on the side that the speakers are facing, and the box will be well insulated.

Just wondering b/c I want something that I can seal tight if need be with a door on the metal box(subs turned off), so that they will be protected from the elements (it'll be in a Jeep).

I'm a noob to all this stuff, so be gentle :D
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2004
    easier way to do this...would be to use ruberized protectant/undercoatin on the outside...cant remember name of it off hand- and have the subs down fireing... that should take care of any issues. Depending on the subs...the Weather should not be an issue this way
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, that might work also, but I want something that will be totally waterproof, and capable of being sealed tight.

So do you think the sound would be affected if the box was placed in a metal container thats open on one side? I figured it just be like a smaller version of a car trunk..
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    It is possible. Bass is non directional so, to a point, it doesnt really matter which way the sub is firing. There may be some resonance from the metal and that can muck up the waveform a bit. Its really hard to say.

It may act like a door speaker. When competitiors install door speakers they always build a baffle and use vibration deadening material. When the speaker fires, the waves will cause the metal in the door to vibrate which in turn will cause the speaker thats mounted to it to vibrate which will screw up the wave and discolor the music. This may be different though cause the sub is not attatched to the metal so, again, its hard to say.

Heres a suggestion. In the metal box, go get some Dynamat vibration dampening material (not the soundproofing) and stick it to all the inside surfaces of the metal box. This should cut down any vibration in the metal caused by the sub and then it wouldnt resonate into the waveform.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2004
    everyone knows..that putting subs in the trunk muffles the bass... so what would be diff about putting in a metal box. yes..you will probably lose @ 3db...not exactly...but that could make a diff
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2004
    well you could always just make an mdf box and then have teh side with the subs slightly recessed... with a door on that side made of mdf as well... then RHINO LINER the entire thing... that will be about as bulletproof as bulletproof gets. use a rubber gasket around the door to keep the seal tight when u close it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2004
    What are you planning to do with this thing?

It seems to me that you are manipulating the questions you are asking to get teh answers you want to hear.

A metal box does not have to be waterproof to be weather tight and all the suggestions so far had been spot on concerning a cheap, easy and effective way to do this.

If you are harping on the waterproofness of the box then I am thinking that you plan to go off-roading and occasionally submerge the vehicle. If that is the case then I advise you get yourself some quick release latches, steel hasps and padlocks. Make the box easily removeable and take it out when you want to go running around in the woods.

As far as loss of sound quality, you are going to lose much more than 3 dB. On top of that, your sound quality will suffer badly.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    Jstas is right. Good car stereos and submerging vehicles in mud bogs just dont mix. Kind of like asking "How do I make a 426 Hemi get 35 miles per gallon?". Some things just aint meant to be.

However, if youre not going to have the top down for weeks at a time and letting all kinds of rain in, or going sloshing thru your nearest creek, you dont need a box thats watertight. Just take the simple route. Go buy a premade box with a sub or two already in there and stick it in the back. You can take it out whenever you want to and it will sound a lot better. You just cant leave it in when you have the top off and Hurricane Andrew Jr is bearing down on you.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    Basically what I was hoping to do was use an old style army ammo box lined on the interior with dynamat, which would be water tight when the door is closed. An MDF box would be inside the ammo box. I know very little about sound systems, and did not know how bad a metal box would affect the sound quality of the subs, and I now see that this idea probably would not work well.

When it rains the Jeep does have a tendency to collect several inches of water in the floor, which is why I figured I would need a box thats water tight, I won't be mud bogging, I'd buy a CJ for that. I know in my first post I only said I wanted to protect it from the elements, not standing water in my floorboards, that was my mistake. AOL was **** up when I was typing my first reply :mad: , so thats actually the 2nd or 3rd edition of the post, and now that I look back it wasn't too clear on what I wanted.

I do like PBDs idea of the recessed subs, and I figure mixing that idea with ease of removability would be an ideal set up for me. Thanks for the help everyone, and sorry for any confusion on what the hell I was talking about :D ..
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing