which type of amp do I use???? HELP!!!

3torex
3torex Posts: 9
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a MM10 in the factory sealed plexi box that I need an amo for...My question is this: should I run a mono amp to it at 4 ohm power or run a two channel and bridge it to the sub thus giving me more power yes????? HELP! I'm super new to car audio!!!
Post edited by 3torex on

Comments

• JDOGG
    JDOGG Posts: 433
    edited January 2004
    Try a Rockford Fosgate Power 451s, Punch 501s, or Power 551s. There are more options also, maybe someone with more knowledge can help. all these are 2 channel so you have to bridge.
    Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p plasma
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    For a single sub under 500 watts or so youre usually better off going with a 2 channel. They are usually a lot cheaper cause everybody wants 4 channels and mono amps these days. Class A/B amps are also cleaner than Class D (mono) amps. The benefit to Class D amps is that they are more efficeint and so can make about a zillion watts without being so big that you have to install it on a trailer and tow it behind your car. But do so by sacrificing on distortion. However by only running them on subs the distortion is usually not a problem. Thats why you dont see people running their mids and highs with a D amp. Except for the Xtant 1.1. Its a class D amp but with low distortion and crystal clear power.

The Rockford Fosgate 451s is probably youre best bet. Sound Domain has it for $180. Bridged its 450 rms and it will be clean and powerful. Coustic also has a good one for $180 in the 401Se but I personally think RF Power series amps are some of the best on the market so Id suggest that one.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 3torex
    edited January 2004
    thanks guys! I think I will go with the 451S.....my only other question is, should I purchase from Ebay as there are many 451S NON refurbs with shipping for around $150 or should I go to say SoundDomain where it is 180 plus shipping???? Is there a huge difference in warranty etc.???
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    Well me personally, I am kind of scared of Ebay. Sound Domain is like Crutchfield, they are both very reputable and have pretty good customer service departments from what Im told. Cheapest price isnt always the best way. Id rather pay $20 more and buy from a company that is authorized by RF and has a good reputation for customer service. When something goes wrong, I like knowing I can get hold of somebody to help me and not sit on hold for 23 hours straight trying to get hold of a customer service rep. But thats just me.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    id get the 551 personally
    those subs can take around 700 watts of power
    especially if youre going with RF
    sounddomain has them with a 3 yr warranty
    ive never seen them with more than a 1 yr on ebay
    $20 more....2 years more...
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2004
    ebay. i got my fosgate 1001bd there for 300 and it was brand new and i had no problems with it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    sounddomain
    i got my bd1000 from a site like ebay with a one yr warranty
    it blew 2 months after the warranty exprired
    -Cody
  • 3torex
    edited January 2004
    thanks guys! Well I went with the Power 451S on ebay 150.00 shipped not a refurb or open demo. It comes with the standard one year warranty which was fine with me. What cables are the best for SQ transfer??? Monster???
    Also... I am going to run the factory 6 disc headunit for now off a rockford RCA converter to the amp and then the sub. I know this set up is not ideal but will it sound awful???