System Calibration??

Options
AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
Okay, so I hear all this stuff about calibration your amp and speakers and stuff with and SPL meter. Can someone please explain to me the basic process or point me towards some good information?

Also, I've got a unique set up with my living room opening up to a breakfast area with a tile floor and glass dining set, creating an accoustic NIGHTMARE!!!

I've got pictures I can provide, is there anyone here with a PhD or something who can tell me where to best place my speakers and how to set it up?

Thanks
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2004
    Options
    You can do a search here for "Calibration" or "SPL." Click here for another good explanation of SPL meters and calibration.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited January 2004
    Options
    The spl meter is half if not less of the needs if your receiver does not have a pink noise feature then you need a calibration dist. I have avia but there are many ta choose from.

What you want to ensure through this process is simply maintaning the loudness across all speakers at a typical volume. 5.1 receivers typically have additional gain controls that can be tweeked. Cal discs are very good for 5.1 dolby systems and establish a benchmark of 85dB at a specific volume setting on your receiver. For example my h/k 520 hits reference at -15 on the volume with the gain controls set at 0(+/-) 3dB.

Please keep in mind that it is very difficult to tune the subs due to an inaccuracy in the spl meter and correction factors must be applied. Also in large rooms bass response is often a very difficult task in optomizing. Depending on the size of your sub and room will determine your accuracy and satisfaction of the .1 channel.

Hope this provides at least an overview.
    1/4Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***