Who can show me how to setup my Pioneer VSX-822-K receiver?

Options
BigLouis1971
BigLouis1971 Posts: 15
edited December 2013 in Electronics
I know that the manual should show me but I would like to hear your recommendations based in your experimentation. Is just that I'm not sure what settings should be better for music Dolby Digital, stereo or one of the many other settings. Also what setting is better for movies?
Post edited by BigLouis1971 on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk!

Not sure what options are available on the Pioneer. But two channel music sounds best on either DIRECT or PURE AUDIO on most receivers where ALL extraneous processing is in the OFF position.

As for movies the receiver should be able to be set into some default position where it will determine what FORMAT the surround sound is in; it is not wise to NOT play in the discs original format. There are a number, for DVDs there is Dolby Digital and DTS (most discs have one or the other, some have both). And for blu-rays there is: Dolby True-HD and DTS HD-Master Audio. Your receiver should be able to identify which format is available or you can sometimes choose it from the main menu of the BD (blu-ray disc). Most receivers are set to DETECT the incoming format and decode the right one! Check your manual, as well?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited November 2013
    Options
    First off, once you finish connecting all of your speakers and have them in place you should run the MCACC. This will set the built-in EQ and make adjustments to each speaker in the system. After that try each source (TV, CD/DVD) or any other analog devices and just play with the settings (advance sound fields) all Digital sources should be source direct, unless its compressed music files. Compress music files should have the sound retriever mode on (fancy EQ to enhance compress files). Everyone's room is different (walls, windows and furniture) and have different effects on the sound. So one persons mode or selection of sound field may not work for the next person.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited December 2013
    Options
    On most receivers you have to learn it & understand what every function is about. Ive spent 1whole day reading & adjusting to my needs. Then i still have to fine tune things in. It can be frustrating too. Remote's are another story. Good luck
    Randy/Maine
  • BigLouis1971
    BigLouis1971 Posts: 15
    edited December 2013
    Options
    That's my case, I'm getting frustrated because I'm failing to get nice sound from the system and I was hoping that some other owner with a successful setting will teach me what he did.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    edited December 2013
    Options
    That's my case, I'm getting frustrated because I'm failing to get nice sound from the system and I was hoping that some other owner with a successful setting will teach me what he did.

I have the Pioneer SC-05 and when I first got it, it sounded good, but not worthy of it's reputation here in the forum. After everyone here helped me with proper speaker placement, I re-calibrated the system and it sounded entirely different. The EQ settings were completely different than the first calibration. I couldn't believe moving my front speakers could make that much difference in the way it was calibrated. I should also note that my system is in a small spare bedroom and not a large living room. I was also not using a tripod for the microphone on the first calibration and was told to use one on my second attempt. I had originally set the mic on the headrest of my chair. The recommendations made a huge difference in the sound quality. Night and day, really.

Use the Stream Direct modes when you want to hear the truest possible reproduction of a source. All unnecessary signal processing is bypassed, and you’re left with the pure analog or digital sound source. On mine I have three choices: Auto Surround, Direct, and Pure Direct. I play music on "Direct" because my speakers really need a sub and "Pure Direct" turns off the sub signal. I also listen to music in two channel, not the other modes that use multiple speakers. I just think music sounds better in two channel.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I play music on "Direct" because my speakers really need a sub and "Pure Direct" turns off the sub signal.

I should have been more specific. I was referring to Music CDs. When playing compressed music you'll need to have it set on Auto Surround if your Pioneer has the same choices/settings as mine. As recoveryone stated, you'll need to have "sound retriever" mode turned on for compressed audio playback. Direct and Pure Direct turns that feature off.
  • oscar41
    Options
    Where can get a mac mic for my pioneer 822?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Try eBay.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk