alphasonik

slim
slim Posts: 69
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
this one is for my friend this time, he plans on running two alphasonik 12s, and two alphasonik 15s...

12s- http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_47&products_id=1088

15s- http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_57&products_id=1089

neither him... or me has any idea what to run them off of... can anyone recomend one or two to run it off of.... he is spending up to 900 dollars on the amps...

oh... and just curious, what is everyone's opinion of alphasonik's subs and amps??:confused::confused:
-Matt
Post edited by slim on

Comments

• Emerald
    Emerald Posts: 42
    edited January 2004
    Buy POLK

:D
    [Lexus SC400T][Lexus SC300][850BMW][S13 Silvia][S13 180sx]
    [ DriftGirl.org ]B][COLOR=Red]POLK[/COLOR] AUDIO[/B[MsEmerald.com]
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    well, i love polk audio, but a polk amp isnt what im looking for... im looking for one or two amps that will put out around 1000 watts to 4 different subs... two that are like 450 each or one thats 8-900.
    -Matt
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    what about this beast.. http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_36&products_id=1198 i looked up the specs and it says it sends 1000watts X 1 at 2 ohms.. i could set up the four subs to be a 4 ohm load. ne 1 agree or disagree?

or this one...
    http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_36&products_id=1062
    -Matt
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2004
    1st..if he is gonna run 12's and 15's in the same install...DONT!
    just use 4 of each and get 2 amps that will power each set! that simple or one that will power all 4....

Especialy dont use one amp to power 2-12's and 2-15's
    :rolleyes:
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    okay, ill put this a lil easier to say... if u were looking for about the best system u can get with 4 15s.. around 200 dollars each, which 15s would you get, and what amp to power them?
    -Matt
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2004
    Me personally..I'd run 4 IDQ15's with a US amps 2000x on all 4
    but thats me...BTW..the IDQ15's are under your 200ea limit.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    I dont like Eclipse amps. Ive heard quite a few of them and while they dont suck, they arent that clean, regardless of what the specs say, and they arent as powerful as you would think. Trust me on this. In the last 2 months Ive driven all over the place and test drove a bunch of amps, most of which were side by side comparisons. No this is purely an opinion and somebody else may love Eclipse amps so take my humble opinion with a grain of salt.

As far as what Id run:

Diamond Audio CM3 15D2 Dual 2 ohm---$200 (msrp)
    Rockford Fosgate Power 1001BD 500 rms at 4 ohms---$460 at Sound Domain.

Thats 4 high quality 15's getting 500 high quality watts rms each. Probably more since RF amps are ridiculously underrated!

The only downside is now youre going to have to go buy 3 alternators and 4 batteries and -14 guage power wire!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    hmm... what do u guys think about these subs: http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_57&products_id=1016

and possibly get two or four of those.. and power with
    http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_36&products_id=997

or

http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_36&products_id=319

or even this
    http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_36&products_id=320

the subs are kinda cheap.. which makes me start thinking they prolly arent that good..but i dont know too much about car audio, so maybe they are good... i dunno.
    -Matt
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    The only downside is now youre going to have to go buy 3 alternators and 4 batteries and -14 guage power wire!

damn... if im only using one amp.. why would i need 3 alternators and 4 batteries... i know plenty of people that run a three or four amps off of one battery and one alternator and have no problems with it...
    -Matt
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited January 2004
    RF BD1001's are only 2 Ohm stable. Have a 100 amp fuse. You would need 2 of them. Hence 200 amp fuse total just for the Subs. Plus the amp for his Stereo speakers.
    My BD500 and Power 550x. Make 1000 watts rms total. Has a 100 amp fuse total. My stock Alt is either 95 or 110 amps. See the problem? I cant sustain high volume long. Already wrecked an Optima Orange top. Now I have to run an Exide Orbital XCD Deep Cycle. Which you should consider doing in this install. Only cost me about $100 with exchange. You might even need 2 of them. PBD is a good person to ask about this.
    An Upgraded Alt is also recomended.
    Chris
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    well after hearing all of this, hes come to the conclusion of just two 15s. and still wondering.. what does everyone think of these http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_57&products_id=1016
    if not, im going with the diamond audio cm3 15d2s probably. they seem like good subs, and hold 600 watts each. and whats all this stuff that chris is talking about.... orbital xcd deep cycle, upgrade alt... that kinda stuff.... i have no clue what ur talking about lol. i said i dont know that much about car audio. :(. so tell me exactly what i would need for this install please and where to put each thing :-p
    -Matt
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    well, i know what the xcd orbital deep cycle is now.. i looked it up on exide.com :-D but ... about how much are they each, and where can u find them at?
    -Matt
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    it might just be my extremely **** computer, but the last link you had said page not found
    -Cody
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited January 2004
    I am sorry. What I meant was this.
    1: 2 amps to power subs would Overload the stock Alternator. Basically it would burn it out real quick.
    2: Exide Orbital battery? The kind of Power draw you'll be running will damage regular Batteries.

I have first hand experience with these problems. Smoked a stock Alternator in a previous car. Only had 1 amp. A Sony 100*2. A blue model that was 2 Ohm mono stable in High-Current mode.
    As far as Batteries? I keep Killing them. My BD500 and Power 550x draw More power than the Stock Alt can deliver. Gets it from the Battery. Now I have a 1000 amp Battery with only 300 amp capacity. Enough to start on a good day. Forget about COLD days. I was told by the Company to get a Deep Cycle because of my current draw.
    Capacitors? I would reccomend them. Help keep Headlamps from dimming on BASS peaks. Also help the amp by keeping Voltage up.
    Chris
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2004
    I'd recomend Polk momo's before anything audioblah!

Think you need to get off that site...and do some real shopping slim:rolleyes:
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    well, i actually did get off of that site. last night i got on aol instant messenger and chatted with cody a lil. he helped me to find some descent stuff. he came up with two different set ups:

the first set up is two id maxes http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/IDSIDMAX12V3D4

the second is four momo12s
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/POLMM2124

both of these systems would be run by two rf 1001bd. http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_36&products_id=320
    i would also get a second battery, and not a second alternator, but a better one.

the 4 momo system will end up about 1300 dollars, the two id maxes would be about 1450 dollars. they would both hit about the same.. so wouldnt it be best to go with the momo system?

and for installation, what would everyone recomend.. (like a cap, distribution block, what gauge power wire.. all that good stuff;) )
    -Matt
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    or, would it be better to spend an extra 150 dollars and get the id maxes, since they have better sq?? i dont care that much abot sq, i just want a good amount of bass, and i dont want it to sound like ****.. like one of those systems that just sounds like someone shaking a bag of tin cans :-\

personally, i dont know how good of a choice this is, but i think i should go with the momos and use that 150 dollars that im saving to buy a descent capacitor.
    -Matt
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    well, i would rather go with 2 than 4
    simply b/c of space issues, the main reason i have a truck, is to get me, my friends, and my **** from point a to point b
    4 subs just takes up too much space
    the id max are more efficient, but obviously 4 subs are going to push more air
    ull probably need 4 1.0 farad caps
    or 2 2.0 farads or whatever
    4 farads
    theres going to be more complicated wiring when going with 4 subs
    well, not really complicated, but more wiring
    more wiring=more sloppy and more chances of getting unwanted noise
    i would run 1/0gauge from the battery to the amps
    then, about a ft away from the amps, run the 1/0gauge into a fused distro block, then have 4gauge come out and have that go to the amps
    -Cody
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    yea, i guess thats true. i know people that dont do nething like that, they just simply hook up wires and run them directly to an amp, and then to a sub, no caps, no distro blocks, none of that. and usually its 4-8 gauge power wire and work fine. if i did that i could get this same system for like 1k dollars. this will end up costing me like 1800 dollars.. but i think it will be well worth it. it will be better quality and not as big of chance or ruining my battery, or alternator. im spending more now, but i think in the long run it will probably end up saving me money :). any place you would recomend to go for the capacitor? and do u just hook that up to the power wire coming from the battery?
    -Matt
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    and im sorry if i told you the 2124s last night, i meant the mm124s
    which i think would put the momos cost above the IDs
    -Cody
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    eek, yea i guess it would. well i decided on the two neways, mainly because of the space issue.
    -Matt
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    where would you reccomend going for all of the hook up wires and capacitors? i looked at getting two of these... http://www.caraudioexpert.com/productView3.asp?productID=2101
    -Matt
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    I prefer Sound Domain. They have plenty of brands to choose from and at real good prices. You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere but Sound Domain is an established, respected and AUTHORIZED company so I put a little more faith in them. A lot less chance of you getting some knock off or open box products.

Crutchfield is pretty good too but you can hardly beat Sound Domains prices and they have a lot of high end brands (Xtant, Phoenix Gold, MB Quart etc). I like Crutchfield cause they are about the only authorized Alpine internet dealer around and they are quite a bit cheaper than shops.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    well cody and i talked again.. this is what we came up with:

ill be running 2 id max 12s, each one off of a rf 1001bd amp. my back speakers will be the db 650 coaxes i have right now, my front speakers will be the db 6.5" component systems. ill run the components off of a rf 401s amp (2 channel 100 watts rms per channel). ill run three lightning audio 1 farad capacitors. my head unit is going to be a pioneer deh-p7500mp. and a second battery, whatever is recomended when i go to a mechanic, and im going to get a much better alternator.
    -Matt
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2004
    nice subs..could see better amp on the subs...but to each their own
  • slim
    edited January 2004
    well i think it sounds just dandy :D. and rf amps are pretty good so ill stick with the 1001bd. but what kinda amp were u thinking about?
    -Matt