Squeezebox Touch

Options
Mikey081057
Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
edited November 2013 in Going Digital
I picked up a used Squeezebox Touch and interfaced it with my Marantz SA 8004DAC input via toslink... Thing was a breeze to install and setup. I specifically wanted a network device to listen to network content and after reading in this and other forums that users find them to be just fine for that purpose.

I listen mostly to Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM etc.

I like the sound quality through the Marantz SACD dac, which was one of the reasons I selected the SA8004... Right now I am connected wirelessly, and seem to get vg throughput as my wireless router is maybe 6' away through a wall.

I have seen a lot of threads here about squeezeboxes, and would like to understand it better... I know this thing has a lot of different ways to connect, and even saw a usb to dac hack to improve sound quality... Would appreciate any easy to apply tips any of you Polk Squeezers can point me to.

Thanks!
My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
Post edited by Mikey081057 on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Start burning your cd's to your computer so you have a variety of the music you like at your finger tips. Use a good burning program like DBpoweramp....into flac files and put those cd's in the closet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I’ve done an I2S out mod on my Touch. I2S is the serial communication a CD player uses from transport to DAC chip; clock is separate of data unlike S/PDIF which embeds clock with data stream and the DAC must sort it out. To do an I2S out mod, your DAC must have I2S input though. I use a device called a Teleporter to send and receive signal in DAC. I2S signals are meant for a short path, not long cables. I can use up to 100 feet of Cat cable using the Teleporters but just need a 3 footer. I use a Blue Jeans Cat6a cable to connect.

touch_i2s_1.jpg

touch_i2s_2.jpg

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/teleporter.aspx

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/data-cables/
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Oh for God's sake Rich.....I suppose your not allergic to Kryptonite either.

Very nice pal...very very nice.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Tony, as the eyesight fades I doubt any more Touch mods will be attempted....

Rubinson at sterophile used the USB out mod on a Touch for a review on a usb input Ayre DAC. The good thing about that mod is it is an easily reversible third party app. The skinny is at slimdevices forum.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Mikey081057
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I am enjoying the snit out of this thing for now.... When i succumb to boredom I will look to add the 22' rims and the supercharger...Rich what does your's do the 1/4 mile in?

Why did they stop making this thing? Everybody just using pc/mac based media servers? This is very convenient & decent sound quality.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Part of the reason is likely because this functionality is being added to more and more universal players. My Touch became immediately obsolete when I bought the Oppo
  • Mikey081057
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Part of the reason is likely because this functionality is being added to more and more universal players. My Touch became immediately obsolete when I bought the Oppo

Is there any way to do Sirius and Spotify on the Oppo now? my older BDP 93 doesn't and I would like to have those.

• SCompRacer
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Logitech never gave an official why when they discontinued the Touch. They expressed support for past products and here is our new product, blah, blah.

If we drag 'em out, my Touch will be slower than yours due to the added weight so I'd need a Touch or two head start, or give me the bust..... ;)
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I think Logitech grew tired of having to support the server side software of the Squeezebox platform, and figured that having to be a bit on the tech savvy side to deal with the server was constricting their customer base to more of a niche sector of the market. So they took what was the Squeezebox Radio, slapped an Ultimate Ears brand name onto it, and did away with the server side component and released it as a pure internet streaming device with no internal server component. This makes it far easier for the average person to get working, but of course it is then no longer used for streaming your personal music collection from your hard drive. It's a bit sad to me that Logitech bought a great little company that was perfectly suited to serve a niche market, then killed the product. But it is true, streaming functionality is being built into more and more devices, so that the standalone streamer is becoming redundant. I still have my Touch, which I really can't see myself ever parting with, particularly because of how well it pairs with the iPeng app for my phone, and the sound quality is top notch. I also have two Squeezebox Radios.

Right now, I also use the Touch with a Marantz 8004, and agree with you that the sound quality is excellent. Great sounding dac, well worth the cost of the unit, with an SACD player for free!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.