tweeter advice

rodney
rodney Posts: 91
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
i have polk mmc460 4x6s in the front doors, ex693as in the rear, and 2 gnx subs so far, and my stock tweeters in the a-pillar are just fizzing now. should i get some aftermarket tweets to replace them? or would it be better to just not use them? also there are some used dx3000s i can get, would those be a good choice?
alpine cda-9857
polk db6500
polk ex369
polk/momo mm104
profile ap1040
kenwood kac-7251
Post edited by rodney on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    dump the stock tweeters. The Polks you have now are far superior. The only reason to use another set of tweeters would be to pull the sound stage up to a higher level. I wouldnt really worry about it though and toss the stockers.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2004
    if you want that added trebble, pick up a set of new polk db, or old polk db / dx / momo tweets and slap em in there -- try to find something around 100 bucks... dont break the bank man. if you get stuck -- Image dynamics Chamaleon tweets are 99 bucks at sounddomain.com -- decent tweet
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • rodney
    edited January 2004
    would these be good good replacements? and dont they come with an in line crossover?

DX3000s:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38646&item=2454142177
    alpine cda-9857
    polk db6500
    polk ex369
    polk/momo mm104
    profile ap1040
    kenwood kac-7251
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2004
    yup - great tweets.. if they dont ahve inline crossovers, just buy a pair of capacitors -- cost u 2 bucks.
  • rodney
    edited January 2004
    what about polk mm1200 tweets? found some really cheap.
    alpine cda-9857
    polk db6500
    polk ex369
    polk/momo mm104
    profile ap1040
    kenwood kac-7251
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2004
    if the mm1200 are the ones found in the momo compoent sets of the last 2 - 3 years, then yes, those are fine as well... might be a bit power hungry, but still fine. if they're an older 'mm' model ie mobile monitor the i have no idea at all.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    thats the mobile monitor series...and ive never heard them...just heard of them
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2004
    The Polk Audio Mobile Monitor series was the precursor to the EX/dB series days. They were the car audio line. The would sit between the EX series and the dB series on the scale if they were out at the same time. They have the sound quality of the dB but they are not as robust of a speakers. They were fairly inexpensive compared to competitor offerings in the market and offered good bang for the buck.

They were based off of the technology found in the old Monitor series of home speakers. That technology was morphed into the SDA series of home speakers which have won awards for thier sound.

The MM series was seriously over-looked by many in the market place and while it was a more than adequate offering, Polk Audio did not have much of a name in car audio. It wasn't until the award winning EX and dB series hit the market did they really get a name for themselves.

It's a shame too. The MM series is old but it would still compete with what is out there today. It isn't under-rated, just overlooked. The critics liked it but nobody knew the name. I think that the best offering from Polk that is out there today would be the MOMO Carbon series. Although the MM series speakers would lack the low end punch that the MOMO Carbn series speakers have due to heavier cone construction materials. But accuracy and sensitivity are right in line with the MMC series of speakers.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!