Tube Amps

Options
JDOGG
JDOGG Posts: 433
edited January 2004 in Electronics
Can someone give me a website that has some at a pretty good price without ebay or refurbished products. My electronics teacher was talking about them today and said they were the best. In fact right here in Minnnesota, White Bear Lake, There is a tube amp manufacturer. The problem is they sell for around 5 G's. I was just lloking into some amps for the future maybe instead of a new sub. Maybe Organ can tell me how he likes the sound of his with the Klipsches. Thanks.
Jordan
Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p plasma
Onkyo TX-SR805
Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
Klipsch RF-25
Xbox 360 with HD DVD
Playstation 3
Cobalt Cable
Post edited by JDOGG on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Jolida and Adire Audio have reasonably priced amps. I also want a tube amp but they are typically spensive.
    Graham
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Audio Research is in Plymouth, Mn, but their stuff is expensive. Magnepan speakers is in White Bear Lake. Checkout Bottlehead for low priced tube preamp and amp kits
  • JDOGG
    edited January 2004
    Options
    The Jolidas look good, I think they are expensive also. I'mlookin at this one.
    http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/jd102b.html
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,898
    edited January 2004
    Options
    JDOGG,

I'm curious, I don't see any Polk speakers in your sig, do you own any?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited January 2004
    Options
    JDOGG,

I would recommend talking to Walter at:

http://www.underwoodhifi.com/retail.html#Anchor-Wit-61551

He is a first class person to talk to and deal with. I bought a modified tube output Jolida cd player from him and love it. He's got some specials going on from time to time too and they come with a warranty.

Paul
  • JDOGG
    edited January 2004
    Options
    No Polk speakers. You guys are always reccomending to go out and let your ears decide. So I did.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Yep, that's true, but how did you join the forum because you need a s/n from a Polk product to get in here.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JDOGG
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I was never asked for one.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Don't forget Antique Sound Lab www.divertech.com Without going the DIY route, ASL is probably the cheapest way to get into tubes.

Your Klipsch are going to sound killer with tubes. They will sound totally different and more life-like. Tubes and horns were made for eachother. Why don't you try a tube pre and SS amp first? IMO, it's better than a SS pre/tube amp combo.

Maurice
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Hmmmm....quess they dropped that.

No matter, take a look at www.audiogon.com for great deals on new and used tube gear.

President of Club Polk

• JDOGG
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • JDOGG
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Just found this one. Could get it then later get another and bridge for 200 watts, that sounds like a simple and ideal way for my small room ( 10 1/2x10 1/2x8 ft).
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dependableav/panewhc.html
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • organ
    edited January 2004
    Options
    JDOGG,
    I doubt you'll need two of that Parasound amp. Don't forget your RF-25 is extremely efficient at 97db/w/m. That 75w/ch is more than enough to get them to play at earth shattering levels. Power from an external amp is much better than receivers. But at that price, it wouldn't hurt to buy a second one. If you don't hear improvements by using two, you can always bridge it to power the center.

Maurice
  • JDOGG
    edited January 2004
    Options
    True,true. Thats a good idea, thanks.By the time my theater is all said and done, no more payin for tickets at theaters! Can't wait. Of course I'll need a source of cash, now I have to get a job when I'm 16, another year.
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • organ
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Get some cash when you're 16??? I want to know how you got your kick **** system at age 15 LOL. Looks like we're both on the same boat here. I'm saving up some cash to buy the RC-35 along with a Yamaha or NAD DD/DTS receiver. It's been almost a year since I last heard 5.1 in my system:(.

Maurice
  • JDOGG
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I think I'm going with the Para. 750 in the future. my stepdad knows, and is good friends with some people at Best Buy. Almost gauranteed a job there.Should be fun. Glad you like my system, yours is also pretty sweet,espescially with the 35's and tubes. Not to mention Polks.:D
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Options
    From a tube to a Parasound.......couldn't be further apart....listen to your teacher.

President of Club Polk

• organ
    edited January 2004
    Options
    F1,
    I was just telling him that if he decides to purchase the Parasound, one amp should be enough to power his speakers. I'm not telling him to buy it. He could save a littbe bit of money by using just one.

JDOGG is looking around for the right amp and I'm not going to tell him to go either tubes or SS. It's his choice and I'm just helping out by giving an advice.

Maurice
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Maurice,

I agree with you about the one amp being enough and it's good of you to help. My comment was to JDOGG because he started off singing the praises of tube amps that his teacher told him about, then did a 180. It's his choice, you're right.

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• organ
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Jesse,
    Sorry about that man. I thought that was for me. I hope he finds what he's looking for. Both SS and tubes are great. I switch around my pre-amps several times a week and I still enjoy SS sound. I listen to SS when I want to listen to music and don't want to waste tube life. But when it's time to get in touch with the music, nothing beats tubes:).

Maurice
  • JDOGG
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I think you have to change the tubes on amps over a period of awhile. And with the price of an amp then all those tube changes, I just prefer to get an amp, hook it up, do some tweaking, and be done with it. And I could buy two of those parasounds for the same basic price of a tube amp.Now that I've looked into it the Parasounds seem like a better deal.

Jordan
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2004
    Options
    JDOGG,
    ATCVenom has an amp you might want to check out.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15487
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2004
    Options
    In my opinion you need to be into tubes a lot to get any real benifit out of them. He said he liked that Jolida for $580 but you can find the Jolida 302A or 502A for less used. If you are going to use 50 year old tubes I don't see why it matters if someone else used it first for a few years but that is up to him. Also, if he wants to hook it up and forget about it then he probably won't spend much time tweaking everything else anyway so a SS amp should be fine. I'm just not seeing a real interest in sound here and tubes can take a lot of unnecessary work.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Options
    "I'm just not seeing a real interest in sound here..."

Bingo was his name...

President of Club Polk