Does woot prices suck on everything now?

Options
exalted512
exalted512 Posts: 10,735
edited November 2013 in The Clubhouse
I used to be a big fan of woot. I had a pretty bad experience with them on one item and I've kind of sworn them off since. I've been somewhat waiting around for an android tablet (not a POS) to come up though. They finally get a nexus 7 on there. $149.95, plus tax since I'm in Texas, plus $5 shipping. They took away the 'taxsucks' code a year or two ago as well.

Well, just a quick look on ebay shows that I can get one slightly cheaper than woot, and probably shipped sooner - with the same 90 day refurb warranty from asus.

Why even shop at woot anymore?

Sorry for the minirant.
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Post edited by exalted512 on

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,187
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Woot hasn't been the same since Amazon bought them.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I paid $149 for my Klipsh Image One headphones that I keep at the office. Woot had them two days ago for $49. I'd call that a helluva deal. I bought mine several years ago when they were a newish model. Amazon's current price on them is $81.97. I do see them on eBay for $49 as well, but I'd still say the Woot deal was great.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited November 2013
    Options
    If your looking for an Android tablet, there are many options out there below $150. I got a refurb'ed Nook HD+ (9" screen) for $100. Looks and works like new.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Right now there are a TON of dealers and online etailers trying to outdo each other for the "lowest" price of the holiday season. I wouldn't bother with WOOT. Just do a good search and you WILL FIND SOMETHING very very cheap! Even Amazon prices are not competitive at this point!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I gave up 'discount' shopping a couple years back and haven't bought from Woot since. I'm all for a good deal, but my days of scouring sites like FatWallet and Woot are long behind me, my time now is worth more than I'd typically save doing all that work.

On Woot specifically, I liked them better when they were a simple, one item a day, website with an occasional woot-off thrown in. Now with all their different sites and such it's too much for me to sort through.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2013
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    Woot hasn't been the same since Amazon bought them.

I think this has a lot to do with it
    I gave up 'discount' shopping a couple years back and haven't bought from Woot since. I'm all for a good deal, but my days of scouring sites like FatWallet and Woot are long behind me, my time now is worth more than I'd typically save doing all that work.

I used to be an avid wooter. I didnt buy much (because I dont have much to buy with...lol), but I loved reading the descriptions. Now, I just have an app on my phone that shows me what items are on woot. I actually uninstalled the app a while back when they pissed me off with their customer service, but added it later when someone was talking about a shirt that was on there. Anyway, I'll probably uninstall it again. If I dont have time to read the funny descriptions and the prices are mediocre, no use in it anymore.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Although their write ups make it worth it once in a while, I don't frequent there very often anymore either: http://tech.woot.com/offers/nikon-1-j1-digital-camera-with-2-lenses
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • eeagle
    eeagle Posts: 226
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Woot has provided some great bargains for me.

Search is your friend....and time is your technology price friend (it always gets cheaper, til it is collectible).

I always price check before buying any item from any site.
    SDA SRS 1.2
    Adcom GFA-5802
    Adcom GFP-750
    Sony DVP-NS999ES