okay to use screws?

Options
ViDi0t
ViDi0t Posts: 1
Hi,

I finally got a new surround system for my home theater! YAH

I got Rti10's, Csi5, and Rti6 and a Velodyne CHT-10 along with a Denon 2803. So far i love everything.

My Rti6 are sitting on metal speaker stands that could easily be bumped by accident. The salesman said just to screw the speakers right to the stands. Is this okay? Are there any potential problems with doing this? How thick are the cabinates?

I don't want my speakers to fall off the stands, but I also am not crazy about **** into them.

Any thoughts or other suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers!
Post edited by ViDi0t on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Welcome to the forum! You've got some great gear there. Personally, I would avoid **** them into anything, because you always run the risk of splitting the wood. Do you have a close-up pic you could post?

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited January 2004
    Options
    How about double sided tape or Velcro, it's got to be better than putting screws into your speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I use Blu-Tak. It's like the poster putty they sell at office max go get some of that. It will hold it VERY well! I have to really pry to get my speakers off the stands.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2004
    Options
    screw your speakers and they shall screw you ;)
    Life without music would
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I had to screw hooks into my f/x 500s to hang them. Just make sure you pilot drill the holes and the wood won't split.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Earthquake putty. It can be had at most any store. I picked up some at Home Depot. It's like silly-putty but holds like a MF'r, won't damage surfaces and peels up easily.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited January 2004
    Options
    "Earthquake putty"

Got to be a west coast thing......I've never seen any of it here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2004
    Options
    F1 - Yea, they have Earthquake hangers and stuff at HD :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • acdds
    acdds Posts: 253
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I put my speakers on the stands (from IKEA) and they looked like they were ready fall over at anytime. So I put a small screw into the wall where there is a mounting hole on the power port. The speaker stands support the weight of the speaker while the screw in the wall stabilizes them.
    Receiver = Denon AVR-3803
    DVD = Denon DV-2900
    Fronts = SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    (Carver m1.5t)
    Center = CSi40
    Side surrounds = Fxi30's
    Sony 12" sub
    TV = Hitachi 57F500

Bedroom rig:
    Pioneer SX-1050 receiver
    Rti38's