How do you brige an amp ?

phd500
phd500 Posts: 75
I have a 4 channel amp and I want to brige it to be a 2 channel amp. I know its either right- to left+ or right+ left-, but I dont know wich one.
By the way it is a older model sony, if that matters. Thanks for any help
Post edited by phd500 on

Comments

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited December 2001
    it has been awhile since i have done some car audio but if i remember correctly to bridge an amp you would

take neg from one chnl connect to neg of speaker and take pos from opposite chnl and connect to pos of speaker.

example:
    lft - to speak -
    rt + to speak +

some one correct me if im wrong.
    some amps also are finicky and like to be bridged certian ways. some times it will say on the amp some where, or you might have a switch for stereo and mono
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2005
    white powr
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2005
    on most amps it doesnt matter, on the ones that do matter, most of the time it is labeled on the amp. rarely is it only labeled in the manual
    just connect the plus from 1 channel and the neg from another and call it a day
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    on most amps it doesnt matter, on the ones that do matter, most of the time it is labeled on the amp. rarely is it only labeled in the manual
    just connect the plus from 1 channel and the neg from another and call it a day
    -Cody

No, it's not that simple. It is important to use the designed output otherwise you can blow up your output circuits or the powersupply.

Best thing to do is read the manual.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    No, it's not that simple. It is important to use the designed output otherwise you can blow up your output circuits or the powersupply.

Best thing to do is read the manual.

Agreed.

Now, anyone else think its weird that this 4 year old thread got bumped by someone posting "white power"?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D