Ripping SACD Help

Options
cstmar01
cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
edited January 2014 in Going Digital
So I have about 20 SACD's that I would like to put into a digital collection so I can possibly try and play them back as I'm finding I love to stream more and more.

I'm looking for ways to rip SACD to my library that I can use on a MAC for playback. I've heard there are issues sometimes with MAC's so looking for info on the easiest way to convert these.

I plan on using a DAC with DSD or a standalone DSD converter for now for the playback.
Post edited by cstmar01 on

Comments

• thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I dont think you can rip a SACD.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited November 2013
    Options
    There is a kludge method using a first generation Playstation and some type of software. Google it. Other than that, it cannot be done. The alternative is to find a DSD download site, hope the SACD has been made available for sale, and buy the DSD files.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Doesn't most SACD also have Red Book CD on them too?
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • jon s
    jon s Posts: 905
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Some do, some don't...

You cannot rip SACDs... It's almost impossible to find the correct PS3s that could rip them... It would have to be a first gen player with an early firmware installed. Since the firmware cannot be reverted to earlier versions, this renders most if not all of the PS3s useless in this regard...
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Hmm I found a guy who will rip by doing a bit of work but will so rips for free if I give him the hard drive. Hmm might have to try that. He's a long time memeber at another audio forum
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2013
    Options
    He might just be ripping the redbook layer. I would just buy the DSD files if that's your future route.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It's first gen PS3's that can rip SACD's if they haven't been firmware upgraded.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • mccarty250
    mccarty250 Posts: 220
    edited December 2013
    Options
    You can rip an SACD with the right plugins using Foobar2000 I believe. Try some google options including SACD and Foobar2000 for the details, I'm 99% sure I've read that it's occurred.

I can tell you 100% that I have taken an ISO image of an SACD and ripped it to an 88/24 highly compressed flac using Foobar2000. I just haven't taken it from the step where the ISO was created.
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited January 2014
    Options
    mccarty250 wrote: »
    You can rip an SACD with the right plugins using Foobar2000 I believe. Try some google options including SACD and Foobar2000 for the details, I'm 99% sure I've read that it's occurred.

I can tell you 100% that I have taken an ISO image of an SACD and ripped it to an 88/24 highly compressed flac using Foobar2000. I just haven't taken it from the step where the ISO was created.

I did the same w/ 4 SACD ISOs I got yesterday (3 Rolling Stones albums and the 2013 Brothers in Arms remaster); Conversion to 24/88 with Foobar works fine (and you can adjust the gain back up close to 0dB in conversion after running the DR plugin). But the problem is, there aren't any computer SACD drives. I'm assuming folks either have original PS3s or they have some kind of modified player that will output PCM directly over HDMI or something.

I may research this a bit more though - you never know what's possible :)
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs