Dedicated network for SQB Touch

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited November 2013 in Going Digital
Been awhile fellas. My SQB has been boxed up since last years move--time to dust it off and get cracking. OK, I need a little network help. Long story short, I need to setup a dedicated network for my SQTouch streaming purposes. Do I simply buy a wireless modem/router, and configure it with my laptop (no internet will be involved) to talk to the Touch wirelessly? I can't use my current internet/modem setup for the touch (again, long story) so what do I need?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Steve, I kinda want your long story... but going with your thoughts, here is what you would want to do. I am making the assumption you currently have a ROUTER (so it can connect multiple computers) not a MODEM (meaning its straight into one computer and thats it)

1. Buy another router
    2. Plug connect a ethernet wire from the old modem/router into the Internet port on the NEW router.
    3. Have both your computer (the one with the music on it) and the squeezebox connect to that new wireless network
    4. Log into the NEW routers firmware and configure it so you can tell the difference between the two wireless networks...

Again this assumes your current connection isnt one where you have ONE PC directly connected to a modem and thats it. If you dont have a router or wireless router already in your system we need to talk further.

Going to PM you my phone to call if you need.

P.S. setup my Classic and man its a nice piece. Love it but will be upgrading soon since I just got access to some 24/192 files and the Classic wont do those.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2013
    Options
    The long story:

We have a verizon 4G wireless modem/router for Internet, however, I don't want to stream through this because of data caps on that account, so I'd much prefer to setup a dedicated (2nd modem/router) strictly for streaming of music from my laptop/ext HDD to the touch. Do I just need a wireless router, since I won't need the "modem" part? Sort of a dedicated "Music LAN" per se.

My laptop runs Windows 7, and I have an external 800GB WD hard drive (my music files) connected to the laptop via USB.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2013
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    We have a verizon 4G wireless modem/router for Internet, however, I don't want to stream through this because of data caps on that account, so I'd much prefer to setup a dedicated (2nd modem/router) strictly for streaming of music from my laptop/ext HDD to the touch.

Steve, unless I am wrong here, if your streaming through your Verizon device and just using a PC to Squeezebox connection it wont count against your cap.

Your cap should only matter from Computer/Device -> Network -> Internet NOT Computer/Device -> Network -> Other Device on network. Your not using data to the web, but I could be wrong here.
    Do I just need a wireless router, since I won't need the "modem" part?

Technically all routers are also modems, but all modems ARE NOT routers. A router can hold a connection to the web (same as a modem) but the difference is a router can also let other devices connect to it (modem is a single device normally directly connected)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Due to the limitations of the Verizon 4G wireless modem, I'd have to make 2 wireless "jumps" because to get reliable/fast internet, this pup has to be in the "center" of the house. I want to do a hardwire connection from the laptop to the modem/router for the music side. Modem/routers are fairly inexpensive--so that's no problem. What would be a good modem/router will very good wireless range?
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Steve so the issue is in addition to worry about your cap you also cant get a signal that far away correct?

There are things called "range extenders" that allow you to do just that, extend the existing range.

Off the top of my head not sure what models to recommend, I have Uverse and they have their own router and my setup also is totally hardwired (the geek in me).

If someone doesnt give you a good recommendation router wise, I will see what I can find when I get home.

I know my brother in law got some nice one off newegg from Asus he really liked (had some sort of pattern in it)....
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Steve - the two wireless routers I have good luck with range (in a house with plaster/lathe walls) and streaming capacity for both audio and video are the NetGear WNDR4500 and the AESUS wireless router (not sure if they have multiple models, I've only seen the one that has the three antenna's on the back).
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2013
    Options
    ^Thanks, I will look into those.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You also look at one of the powerline options, like the Netgear XAV5101, that trasmit data over your electric lines...
  • gdpeck
    gdpeck Posts: 840
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I've had really good luck with Apple's wireless access points. They are pricey for sure, but at least in my environment, the radio performance has been fantastic. The current Airport Express ($99 US) might just do the trick for you. For the last few years I've used an Airport Extreme as the main access point in my home, which is about 3300 sq. ft. two story. The access point is upstairs in a corner of the house, and covers the whole house very well. I'm currently using a Cisco Meraki Access point, which is a commercial offering. The Meraki is an awesome commercial solution as far as management and performance goes (disclosure I work for Cisco), but in my environment, the wireless signal is better from the Airport Extreme. I also use 2nd Generation Airport Expresses while traveling and as an airplay bridge to my Audioengine speakers. I like Apple products in general, but have had really really good experience with the Airport wireless access points.

BTW, there is now way my Squeezebox(en) could have stayed boxed up for that long. I love those devices. :biggrin:
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2013
    Options
    How about this? http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/r10000g.html

I assume I would just plug my laptops ethernet cable into this device right?
  • gdpeck
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Does the Verizon Modem/Router have any ethernet ports or is it all wireless?
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2013
    Options
    How about this? http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/r10000g.html

I assume I would just plug my laptops ethernet cable into this device right?

That one looks ok.

Here is the important part: IIRC if you connect your laptop directly to the router it will kick you off the wireless connection to your Verizon device. Most computers dont like to connect both wirelessly and hardwired at the same time. That means you will not have internet access on the laptop when its connected.

I am not super familiar with the squeezebox server stuff either, but that might mean you need to start and stop the squeezebox software each time you want to play it.

Can you take a picture of your verizon router/modem so we can see what we are working with? Does it look similar to the one you linked to or is it a Jetpack/MiFi device (we have a couple here for traveling for work).
  • gdpeck
    edited November 2013
    Options
    That one looks ok.

Here is the important part: IIRC if you connect your laptop directly to the router it will kick you off the wireless connection to your Verizon device. Most computers dont like to connect both wirelessly and hardwired at the same time. That means you will not have internet access on the laptop when its connected.

I am not super familiar with the squeezebox server stuff either, but that might mean you need to start and stop the squeezebox software each time you want to play it.

Can you take a picture of your verizon router/modem so we can see what we are working with? Does it look similar to the one you linked to or is it a Jetpack/MiFi device (we have a couple here for traveling for work).

If it is a Windows laptop, Internet Connection Service can be used to share the internet connection coming into the wireless NIC in the laptop with the wired ethernet port. This would essentially turn the laptop into another router, which could impact performance of the laptop and the network. If it is possible to connect the wireless access point to the verizon router, that would be a better option.
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2013
    Options
    The Verizon modem/router has ports on the back; it's achilles heel is that it needs to be near a window since we're in a "fringe" 4G area. This doesn't allow me to connect via ethernet to my laptop to it---making my SQB setup require 2 wireless "jumps" which, in the past caused my squeezebox touch some grief with 24/96 material. I'd much prefer spending the money and having a dedicated network for it, and have a good, clean signal.

It would be setup just like it was at the old house; USB HDD-->(usb)-->laptop-->(ethernet)-->modem-->(wireless signal)-->SQB Touch.

LMS can be setup to run at computer start up, the way I used to. I guess what I'm asking is, do you see any problem setting up 2 independent network wireless devices, to allow for the "dedicated" SBTouch modem/router. Only the SQB would be using this 2nd network.

Here's the Verizon 4G LTE router: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-MBR1515-100NAS-Mobile-300N-Router/dp/B00BKF5RP2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1383856924&sr=8-12&keywords=4g+lte+router

It's a NETGEAR MBR1515
  • gdpeck
    edited November 2013
    Options
    The only issue I can forsee with that setup is that you could have delays or timeouts if your laptop tries to use the squeezebox network to hit the internet, since the squeezebox network won't be connected to the internet. I believe you can prevent that by setting up the network properties for your Ethernet connection without specifying a default gateway for that network connection. I need to verify that behavior with someone who knows more about networking than I do, and it's also something you should test first if possible.

Also, if you set it up that way you won't be able to direct connect your squeezebox to the internet for my squeezebox.com, or whatever they call that mess now. Based in what you've described, it doesn't sound like that will be a problem for you.
  • fjross
    fjross Posts: 183
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I just recently purchased the AV500 power line adapt from TP Link part no TL-PA4010KIT. I believe they were on sale a Micro Center for $35.00 after mail in rebate. Connect cable from outlet of router to one of the power line adapt and plug into 110 outlet. Plug the other supplied unit into an outlet near your Squeezebox. 2 Ethernet cables are included. I was steaming wireless until I did a Squeezebox update and started losing connection intermittently. This solved the problem with no sound quality issues.
    Mcintosh MC-501 mono blocks
    Mcintosh C-45
    Mcintosh MVP-871
    PS AUDIO AV5000
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun biwire speaker interface
    MIT 3.3 Shotgun XLR interconnects
    Polk 2.3TL's Gimpod boards/F-1 modded crossovers/dynamat/JB weld/Larry's rings/Blackhole 5 strips
    Polk 3.1 TL's mint/stock (purchased new)
    Polk SDA-2's
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Thanks guys for the tips & info.

I went ahead and tried setting up last night, just using the verizon modem/router---and it worked. My Squeezebox controller is giving me some fits; it see's my network, accepts the password, but it can't find my music for some reason. I'll mess with that some more tonight. The odd thing is, when I go to "diagnostics" on the Controller advance functions, it shows my netwrok, my signal strength, type of encryption, etc?? Looks like the battery may need replacing in the controller as well, as it doesn't want to charge beyond about 25%. It has been boxed up for a year, unused. I'll do more testing tonight with 24/96 material to see if I get any hiccups. So far, she's working.

Also downloaded the latetst LMS and Touch specific SW updates.
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I went ahead and purchased iPeng for my iphone, incase I can't get this controller to talk to my system. If I like the app, I may put the SQB Controller up for sale. Just a heads up to my SQB Brothers.
  • shadowlight
    shadowlight Posts: 327
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Take the laptop and hook it up directly to the touch using standard rj45 cable. Assign static ip address to both devices with the same network range and subnet mask.

Example
    Laptop Ethernet IP: 192.168.254.254
    Laptop Ethernet Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Touch Ethernet IP: 192.168.254.253
    Touch Ethernet Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Update: Did a factory reset on the SQB controller, and everything is working. The battery did charge fully overnight. I'm back in business. So far, 4 albums in 24/96 have played without any drama.

Thanks all.

BTW, the iPeng app is very cool. I tried it as well on my iphone4.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Sounds like you are thinking too hard to solve this problem on several levels.

1) what are you using for cable TV viewing (many cable companies prices throw in the internet pennys on the dollar)

2) Hardline, most people are obting not to have a hardphone line, but this is one reason to keep one cheaper cost for internet

3) Coverage, before buying range extenders/powerline adapters, get highgain antanas for router. I used both and the antana work the best for consistant signal.

Just incase some are wondering about your cap, he is using his cellphone plan to have a home internet source, but are subject to date plan cap unless you paying top dollar for unlimited data.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2013
    Options
    We're out on acreage, so satellite/wireless are the only reasonable solutions. We use verizon for phone/cells/internet as a bundled package. The home phone is calculated seperately and has no cap. So far, the Verizon 4G LTE modem/router is working fine. Even 24/92 material plays without issue, with 2 wireless jumps. (laptop-->modem-->SQB).

Early on I was thinking that the modem would not be able to handle everything--it feels rather cheap; but so far, so good.