receiver problem

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
so i am just driving around and all of a sudden, music stops coming out of the speakers. i have no idea what it could be at all. the receiver is still on and working, but there is no sound coming out. suggestions?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    You didnt give enough information. It could be a million things.

blown fuse
    loose or cut power wire
    loose or cut ground wire
    loose or cut remote turn on wire
    amp in protection mode
    amp gave up the ghost
    head unit gave up the ghost
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    my guess is the fuse
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    heres some more information. it stops. then i take the cd out and put it back in and it works. its not the cd cuz i have tried it with like 10 different ones. but later on today it was fine.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    sounds more like a loose connection then...or maybe the HU is going to die
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    the hu is pretty old. i think, offhand, its a kenwood kdc-x17 or something along those lines. i bought the car and it came with it. 99 civic ex
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2004
    I am guessing it is not a fuse because a blown fuse would cease all operation entirely.

If the head unit is powering the speakers then the output stage of amplifier inside the head unit could have bought the farm.

If the head unit is powering the speakers then the output to the D/A converter for the CD player could be bad. The signal source for the output stage could be shot.

If an external amp is powering the speakers then the problem is either with the pre-amp outputs, the RCA patch cables or the amplifier itself.

If the speakers are externally powered by a seperate amplifier and teh amplifier does not turn on, the amplifer's power supply could be dead, you could have a blown power fuse or a blown fuse on the amp. You remote turn-on lead could be broken, grounded out or not working. Your amplifier could be grounded out. Your speakers could be grounded out.

That is just a few of the things that I could think of from a problem statement that amounts to "It dun work no mo'! "
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    thanks. i have an external amp powering the speakers. i think it was because of the cold maybe. i live in CT. i let it warm up a while today and there was no problem. but im gonna check for a loose connection in a few days
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing