does this sound good??

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
ok i got a computer for x-mas and it came with jbl speakers.they sound real good.this summer im upgrading my system.right now i got 2 polk 10 inch gnx 104 in a sealed box.momo 6/9,kenwood 4inch up front and a 1200 watt visonik 1 channel amp.i was thinkin about buyin 2 polk momo 2124 in a sealed box and jbl power series 6/9s and jbl power series 4 inch for up front im goin to run the 6/9 and 4 inch off the alpine indash.im thinkin about keepin the 2 10s in the trunk so ill have 2 12s and 2 10s.but i was wonderin would the jbl 6/9s and 4s sound better than my momo 6/9s and kenwood 4s???if i dont get the jbl's im goin to buy 4 inch polks for up front.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    im a big fan of JBLs GTO series...theyre great beginner speakers for a low price...but im kinda etchy about their other stuff...but i have not heard the power series
    so i went to specs
    both have dome tweeters
    the jbl's tweeter composite is titanium...the polks is silk...the silk has a little softer....less mechanical than the titanium IMO
    the woofer composition for the JBL is HCL...which is very good for bass response
    Lacquered carbon-fiber is what the momo has...im not sure of this...but i would think that this would be better for sound quality, but more lacking in bass response compared to the JBL
    both have rubber surrounds
    so A+ there as well
    momo has a 3 yr warranty....JBL has a 1 yr...
    momo has a higher sensitivity rating...meaning....given the same power....the momo will be louder...this is probably b/c i think the woofer composite of the momo is lighter than the JBL
    the momo has a more spread frequency response...itll go lower and play higher than the JBL
    both have the same power handling...
    same top mount
    momo has more bottom mount clearance....but in most vehicles doesnt matter anyways
    over all, spec by spec, the momo is better
    but u cant always go off of specs
    and the momo has a 3 yr warranty
    running them off the deck...i doubt theyll be much of a difference
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    thx man but what about 4 inch?should i go with jbl,polk or keep the kenwoods?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    ok im goin to choose between jbl,polk,kenwood or mb quart componet system???
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    I would go with the MB Quarts. They are a better speaker than any of the others you mentioned. I personally believe they are about the best you can get. But for the money you cant beat Polk/Momo.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    mb quart are far from the best u can get
    i have NEVER EVER heard one though
    but if theyre better than some of the stuff ive heard...then my hats off to them
    poweredbydodge said he had some mb quart 4"(maybe 3.5"....they were small) and he said he was very unimpressed with them
    but it could just be the placement of the speakers...any car that has 4" speakers are obviously not meant to be acoustically pleasing
    i really cant help you there
    i have polk/momo and kenwood excelon and are VERY pleased with both
    if kenwood excelons have a 4" speaker...id go with them
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2004
    I'm confused? What does the computer have to do with the speakers?

You have MOMO 6x9's in the rear, correct?

You have Kenwood 4 inch speakers up front?

You have 2 10 inch GNX's and you want to add 2 12 inch MOMO 2124's, correct?

Now you want to replace your full-range with the JBL's, right?

First question, what kind of Kenwood speakers are they? You may already have a better speaker than the JBL's and the smaller JBL's are not as robust as thier larger brethren in the same lines, GTO or Power series. The Kenwood speakers may server you better there.

If you already have MOMO 6x9's, why are you going to replace them withe JBL's. The JBL's are nice and a very critically under-rated speaker but the MOMO's out-perform them, hands down. I'd stick with the MOMO's.

As far as the subs, that is alot of sub, hope you have a big car. On top of that, those subs are most likely not matched and you may get a disparity that will show up by way of muddied sound or even cancellation. You can try it but do nothave the 10 inch speakers and 12 inch speakers sharing a common enclosure space. At the very least, seperate teh 10 inch speakers from the 12 inch speakers.

As far as MB Quart goes, they used to be pretty damn good speakers. Lately though, I have been hearing about more problems with MB Quart than success stories. I'd stear clear of them. They are over-priced IMO too. You can get comparable performance from a set of Polk MOMO components if you can. MB Quart is far from the best though. I would put them on the same level as the Polk MOMO series but the Polk's are a better value because they have a lower price point than the MB Quarts.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    I agree that you should keep the Momo 6x9s. I have a set and they are pretty damn good. Im all into progressive metal and want a lot of clarity, accurace and most important detail. Progressive is pretty heavy but also very complex. Odd time signatures, wicked chord progressions and licks from Juliard trained musicians and I want to hear them all. My Momos have perfromed excellent, even with a budget (Alpine V Power 40x4) amp running them. I cant wait til I get my Xtant or JL or RF or PPI(I havent decided yet)!

With these speakers I have heard things Ive never heard before on cds Ive been listening to for years! Subtle little patterns or voice effects that wouldnt be reproduced by a lesser speaker. And when you figure Im getting all this greatnes from a set of speakers I paid $175 for its all that much sweeter!

I was at first firguring on upgrading to a set of MB Quart Premiums or Focal Polyglass speakers but Im having a hard time talking myself into getting rid of my beloved Polks!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2004
    rockford made a "fanatic Q" 4inch component system -- take a look for that -- its decent -- probably one of hte "gooder" 4 inch comp systems i've heard.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge