humm through speakers still

Options
dave shepard
dave shepard Posts: 1,334
edited January 2004 in Electronics
In the past I asked what the humm comming through the speakers was and recieved the ground loop as the poss. cause. Well today I spent the better part of the morning playing with the set-up and put a cheeter plug on the surge protector that has the reciever, dvd, vcr, sat. connected to it the sub doesn't have a ground and is in its own sep. outlet and surge protector, it didn't go away. The humm is fant with the reciever volume set at 00 for referance but can be heard through all speakers even the sub with dvd player on. Then I shut the dvd player off so no other componet was on with the reciever and the noise got even louder ( about 5X's) to the point that I'm sure it would give a reading on the spl meter and will do so tomarrow just to give you some idea of what I'm hearing. Can someone give this a try with their's? I'm assuming that with nothing running through the reciever there should be nothing heard.

Thanks

Dave
Post edited by dave shepard on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,875
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Try plugging the receiver into a seperate outlet without anything else plugged into it and without the surge protector.

Is the 00 volume setting full on or full off? If that is full on, you bet your **** you're going to hear some hum.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2004
    Options
    when i turn off all sources and just crank the receiver and amps.. it does a slight hum.. but also hissing.. it's not noticable during music of movies.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dave shepard
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Try plugging the receiver into a seperate outlet without anything else plugged into it and without the surge protector.

Is the 00 volume setting full on or full off? If that is full on, you bet your **** you're going to hear some hum.

I will try putting it in it's own outlet tomarrow. As far as full on I assume you mean max volume? I'm not sure I never cranked it to see how loud it will go but I know it goes in the plus range I think +10 is max but will very with the independent speaker settings and where the highest setting is at. Why would you hear anything with nothing else on? is that the amp producing the sound? I just don't know what is to be coincidered nornal and know I need some good cables for the componets (I have those ultra high-end ones that come with vcr's:eek: ). Could the cables be part of the problem? If so can good ones be bought at RS, CC, BB? I have a THX sub cable for the sub and a fiber optic for the dvd player every thing else is those red/wht/yellow ones connecting the rest to the reciever.

Dave
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Dave,

Ok, then is 00 full off or what? If it's full off and you're hearing a hum, then you really have a problem.

Please don't turn the volume all the way up at any time, nothing good will come of it.

Cables can and will make a difference in sound quality, but I don't think that's your problem right now.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dave shepard
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I just checked, -80 is the lowest volume setting and with the recievers independent speaker levels set to 0 the highest is +18. With my recient settings the max volume is -.5, and like Danger discribed it is sort of a hissing/humm sound. With the dvd on the sound is faint it just suprised me that when I turned it off leaving only the reciever on the sound became alot louder and didn't know if it was normal I never tried that before.

Dave
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2004
    Options
    1. Disconnect all components and listen to FM. If hum is present, you're hurtin'. If not, procede to step 2.
    2. Connect CD player. If hum is present, flip power cord over and try again.
    3. Continue until something makes the noise.

Good luck!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I think what you're describing is normal. With the volume turned up fairly high you will hear a hiss from the tweeters in your speakers. Does the hiss go away as you turn down the volume?

A hum is a different story and usually means you've got a ground loop problem, do as Gidrah states.

President of Club Polk

• dave shepard
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Yes the sound does seem to go away or at least is less noticeable with the volume turned down and is not noticable when something is being played. When I had turned everything off but left the reciever on should it have gotten louder?

As far as cables I seen that BB had componet cables by the check-out register (don't know manuf.) some were labled audio, video, audio/video (combo pack)they all looked the same (ends and wire thickness) except the audio 12ft long were $39.95 for 3 (too long for conecting my componets) and the video 3ft long were $12.95 for 3. Is there a diff. between them or can I use the video cables for the audio? The 3ft length would be better but they didn't have any labled audio 12ft only.

Thanks

Dave
  • F1nut
    edited January 2004
    Options
    "When I had turned everything off but left the reciever on should it have gotten louder?"

Not sure what to tell you about that one, perhaps someone esle can chime in.

Other than that, I'd say the hiss you're hearing is normal.

Cables......there is a lot of info here on cables, get your search on. I will say this, yes there is a difference between audio and video cables, don't interchange them.

President of Club Polk

• dave shepard
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Well that's a load off my mind for now anyways. I found the problem. It is the sat. reciever. When I put the reciever on vcr/ 5channel stereo (sat. runs through it) the noise (defenitly humm, mids and tweets are producing it at same time) is at it's loudest. I put the reciever volume at 00 (referance volume)(double checked max is +4.5 with current speaker settings) and got a reading of 70dbls 3ft from the LF front rti-70. I unplugged the sat. reciever and the Denon was as quiet as a church mouse, I then plugged it back in and it came back, then I unplugged the audio cables leading to the vcr leaving the video cable plugged in and it went dead quiet again. I also tried the cheeter plug on the sat. reciever and it did quiet it down alot but was still there so I figure that either the cheep audio cables are to blame or the sat. reciever itself is I will try better cables tomarrow. The sound has been alittle annoying and has also found itself getting through to the other settings as well cause there has always been a slight sound when things in movies were supose to be quiet. What a load off my mind until tomarrow when I drive the wife nuts setting speakers again. Thanks guys I appreciate the help and time.

Thank you

Dave