Possible AC cord starter?

Options
CoolJazz
CoolJazz Posts: 569
edited October 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
"Breakthrough in Low EMF Wiring!!

At last, we are proud to offer wiring which actually reduces EMF emissions to extremely low levels. Patented design incorporates both of these EMF emission suppression features: special internal wire configuration to maximize cancellation of magnetic field emissions: 2 hot, 2 neutral, and one ground wire and shielded wrapping to completely eliminate electric field emissions!

The result is a high quality wire with the lowest possible EMF emissions (over 90% reduction compared to standard wire). Replacing existing wire with MµCord is likely to be much less costly, more effective, and probably more convenient than shielding."

http://www.lessemf.com/wiring.html

Anybody heard of it or tried it? Thought somebody might be interested.

CJ
A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
Post edited by CoolJazz on

Comments

• Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited October 2013
    Options
    That web-page has some highly suspect statements, like:
    The Romex® was tested at 30 Amps! (nothing said about their cable).
    They say that their 20AWG wire is rated at 14 Amps. (it's NOT) even two 20AWG wires are not 14 Amps.
    Nothing is said about the Safety Ground (EGC/PE) wire being as large as the Hot or Neutral.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited October 2013
    Options
    It seems like just a twisted pair for each hot and neutral conductors; sounds like a lot of marketing for not much of a product.
  • Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    edited October 2013
    Options
    In theory it could make a very good power cord. It's that web-site that 's the problem.

The theory:
    With 4 conductors (cores) Hot, Neutral, Hot, Neutral all spiraling around a central Safety Ground (Star Quad style), would have good interference rejection (both receiving and transmitting) and the Safety Ground would have good leakage current rejection.
    The tricky parts are:
    a] the 4 wires wound need to remain symmetrical even with flexing (this would require a major cable manufacture with big expensive machines)
    b] the Safety Ground wire needs to be as large as 2 of the current conductors.
    c] getting it approved by a safety agency (UL) might be challenging.

No add a shield connected only at the receptacle end and it would be even better.

For deep technical stuff, see:

"Ground Loops: The Rest of the Story"
    Bill Whitlock, AES Fellow and Jamie Fox, P.E.
    1 Jensen Transformers, Inc., Chatsworth, CA, 91311, USA

This paper was presented at the AES 129th Convention, 4-7 November 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/20963848/268252969/name/Whitlock-Fox+-+Ground+Loops+.pdf