I Really need Help!

Options
Almostthere
Almostthere Posts: 1
This is my first time here! I really dont know that much about all this stuff.

Here is the deal. This is what I have (I got it about 3 years ago from Circuit city) I have 2 Polk Rt-35I for the the front, 2 Polk R-10 for the rear, a CS- 175i for the center, and a PSW-350 ( I upgraded for the sub) At the same time I bought at Sony receiver ( STR-DE 545).

The system sounded pretty good at first but after a few years as I learned more about it. I think I need a better receiver so I just bought a yamaha HTR-5590. The new receiver has 6.1 and I am learning that basicly that mean I can add another center channel? That might help me because I have to turn my center up all the way because I can't hear the voices very good when I watch movies.

So If this is true I only have a Polk cs-175 for the center channel and I am looking at a Center channel CSI30. Is this what I should buy I can get it for $160.00 Usd. And if so should I put the CSi30 inn the front and use the cs-175i in the back?

I will be asking all of you all many question and I am greatfull for the help!!
Post edited by Almostthere on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2004
    Options
    6.1 = REAR center channel, won't help with voices. User your level adjustments on the receiver, turn the front L/R down and the center up.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2004
    Options
    If you want to do it "correctly", get an SPL meter to set your levels. Avia and S&V use 85db levels, some others use 75db as the reference level. If this is what you would like to do, more information is available here.

If you want even cheaper....and no moeny spent is certainly cheap...

You can just earball it, and run the test tones that your AVR may or may not have onboard. I am not super familiar with that manufacturer. Chances are that your center channel is simply being overpowered by your mains.

PolkThug is right, the other center is a rear center.

Yes, get the CSi30...and yes, move that little 175 to the rear. You don't have the most desirable timbre match of speakers, but just move forward with what you have. You could try and find a CS245i to match your mains a little better...then the only odd speakers would be your surrounds. Its just a thought, not a rule.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.