Need advice with amp power ratings

Digital
Digital Posts: 5
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi there,

I have one Polk MOMO MM104 subwoofer that I'm going to power with an Alpine V12 amp.

Since the sub is 500W RMS, do I need the amp to push the same power, or would 250W RMS be sufficient to drive it properly?

My two amp choices are these:

Alpine
MRD-M1000 500W RMS @4Ohm
MRD-M500 250W RMS @4Ohm

The sub will be in a custom inclosure, with the appropiate cubic inch dimensions. It will be located in the trunk of a 1996 Honda Prelude SR-V

I'm not open to other amp manufacturers, Alpine is what I'm going for.

Thanks
Post edited by Digital on

Comments

• ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited January 2004
    run the mrd-m1000 you will be happier with your sub..and the amp performance
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2004
    You are more likely to damage the speaker with a lower powered amp, than a higher powered one. (good clean power, ie NOT a 250w Alpine vs a 500w Generic)

Using the 250w amp, you are more likely to 'clip' the amp, and damage the speaker, than using (all things equal) the 500w (or even greater) amp.

Why are you sold on Alpine? Nothing (that I know) wrong with it, but there are other options. The gearheads in here won't steer you wrong, keep your eyes peeled for new posts.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Digital
    Digital Posts: 5
    edited January 2004
    I'm sold on Alpine because I already have the Alpine 9815 headunit and MRV-F540 4 ch amp to drive the internal speakers. You get the Bass Engine and MediaXpander features when you match up the head with the amps.

And visually, it would look like crap to mix amps.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    russman is right, the smaller amp has more of a chance to clip than the larger one, thus blowing your speakers
    id get the 1000
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited January 2004
    Yes.. and when you are running the lower powered amp with heavy subs you usually wont hear the clipping.. which makes it more dangerous so spend that little extra on the 1000

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    Just for the record, Im a big Alpine fan so Id like to give ya a big Hell Yeah for going with the V12!! :D

Too bad that sub isnt dual voice coil. You could get the M500 and save a couple hundred $$.

If money is a concern I would say the M500 wouldnt be a bad decision. It wouldnt slam as hard but would be enough unless youre into bass heavy music.

However if youve got the cash to spend then the M1000 is the better choice. Better to have too much than not enough!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D