A whimsical Monitor 4.6 upgrade, with pics

2»

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,034
    edited September 2013
    Those look stupid good. Great work as always.
  • geoff727
    geoff727 Posts: 546
    edited September 2013
    Thank you all for the compliments, I really appreciate it!

They have had most of the day playing music to start to come back to life. Overall, my feelings about them are good. On the plus side, they are much more dynamic than I remember them being pre-upgrade. This doesn't surprise me, with the changes to the enclosure and vibration treatments in several areas. I get this impression across the whole frequency range.

Alongside this, I think the tweeters are behaving a lot better. It's difficult to say definitively, because I have them playing through my desktop system using the CD-ROM drive for CD's and Windows Media Player. They are in a rather harsh digital environment that is not conducive to good sound. In fact, the only way it could get worse is by switching to MP3's! But, this is where I had them before so the comparison is probably valid.

There is some papery chestiness in the lower midrange/upper bass. Usually, I opt for about 70% fill in the enclosures, and usually like lining the walls with Sonic Barrier or some other treatment. On these, I didn't do any of that, instead just using the original amount of polyfill. Again, this is a time/cost thing because these are now someone else's. However, I have a feeling that past listening experiences with polyfill and anti-reflection material for the midrange region would probably be valid for these too, and that those applications would yield the same 'cleaning up' of the midrange and mid-bass.

Overall, though, I am pleased with them. The increase in dynamic range alone makes them worth listening to.

G~
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited September 2013
    These and those RTA-12's you did a ways back REALLY wants me to get a pair of my speakers in your hands.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • geoff727
    edited September 2013
    Nightfall wrote: »
    These and those RTA-12's you did a ways back REALLY wants me to get a pair of my speakers in your hands.

Hey thanks! Well, if you are in Colorado, maybe we can go have a beer at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest next month? I'm flying into Denver on the 10th.
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited September 2013
    geoff727 wrote: »
    Hey thanks! Well, if you are in Colorado, maybe we can go have a beer at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest next month? I'm flying into Denver on the 10th.
    That would be a lot of fun. I cook in a restaurant so I work every weekend, it's the busiest. Let me see what I can do, though. I'll PM you if I can get some time off. There are a few other CO members here that might be interested as well.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited September 2013
    Awesome job - again! - Geoff, and I've come to expect nothing less from you. Those have got to be the nicest pair of Monitor 4.6s there ever was.

Thanks for sharing with us.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited September 2013
    Sir you did a very fine job of updating those 4.6, the carbon fiber was something that I never would have thought of, very nice.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • j1mmy
    j1mmy Posts: 95
    edited September 2013
    +1... nicest pair on the planet. CF looks top notch.
  • geoff727
    edited September 2013
    Thank you all again for the nice words.
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)