Momentum plus Dragonfly

KrazyMofo24
KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,187
edited September 2013 in Headphones
I finally was able to make some additions in my audio setup. I just purchased the Sennheiser Momentum headphones and the Audioquest Dragonfly dac mainly based on the positive reviews from Assimilated and Mantis. I definitely want to thank both of them for taking the time to share their impressions with detailed and useful information.

I have not been able to spend much time listening to them this weekend but so far I feel they go great together and so far I'm very pleased with my purchase. I love the way the momentum's look they are smaller than I pictured but I feel it's a good thing since these are portable. They sounded really good out of my ipad but I feel they sound even better when paired with the dragonfly. I am mainly going to use this setup at work and the dragonfly is also going to be used at home for my desktop setup. Which is modded hd580s and a tube headphone amp and its definitely an improvement over the $30 Beyer dac. I also bought Deoxit gold spay to fix the contacts on my hd580 because it kept cutting out which looks liked fixed my issue very happy about that but feel stupid for taking so long to try it.

Anyways I just wanted to share my experience so far with the dragonfly and the momentum's I'll post again when I get some more time to spent using them. In case anyone is the market for either device crutch field have the momentum's on sale for 300 and was able to get best buy to price match and the dragonfly is $200 at the Magnolia.
Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

Post edited by KrazyMofo24 on

Comments

• KrazyMofo24
    KrazyMofo24 Posts: 1,187
    edited September 2013
    Damn redirect caused me to create two threads when trying to go back.
    Setup:

2 Channel: Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand, T+A P 1230R, Primare SPA21, Oppo BDP-105
    PC: Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand, Cambridge Azure 650A v2 , Peachtree iDAC, Denon DVD-3800BDCI

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited September 2013
    Both the momentums and the PSB cans are good.
    Audio Concepts here in Dallas has a headphone demo area to die for.
    Senns, Grados, PSB, and Beyer all in one place with a couple of headphone amps.
    In the last couple of years there have been lots of great new cans.
    Why does anyone still buy Bose/Beats?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited September 2013
    I"m glad you're enjoying the Momentum, they're a great can and are driven very well by that Dragonfly. They're so efficient that they don't need much gain so something like the Dragonfly is perfect for them. They even sound great right out of an iPod running lossless files, but at the moment I'm on the hunt for a good small portable iDevice amp/dac.

By the way, I'm taking at least partial credit for that headphone collection at Audio Concepts, I harped on it every time I went in there until they finally got a decent collection in there, initially it was a pair of HD800 on a runt SS amp that didn't match up all that well.
  • sucks2beme
    edited September 2013
    They send me a picture in an email that's NOT an attachment of that setup.
    I really need to see how to get a copy uploaded.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    edited September 2013
    Here it is.