Cheap Streaming Machine

Options
smglbrth
smglbrth Posts: 1,460
edited September 2013 in Electronics
Hello All, I want to look into a cheap machine, bdp or other, that can stream (Netflix, etc.) really well since that's what it would be used for. I hate that my family constantly runs my $400 plus bdp (with the cooling fan running constantly) just for this purpose, it's driving me nutty. Of course, with the latest "break downs" I've had around here lately maybe I'm paranoid. Our main computer went caput the other day and I replaced the starter for the van in the Walmart parking lot two days ago!

Life is good but sometimes it just plain sucks.

Any input would be appreciated!
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
Post edited by smglbrth on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited September 2013
    Options
    You probably need to be more specific on what exactly you'd like to stream. The Roku players can handle pretty much anything and are fairly inexpensive.
  • pretzelfisch
    pretzelfisch Posts: 160
    edited September 2013
    Options
  • smglbrth
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Checked out Roku, never heard of such a thing before (I know, what a shock from an old school guy). Right now it's just Netflix but I can see things going haywire in a year or so with more stuff. I even ran a 75ft Ethernet cord all the way to the basement (our TV room) for this but maybe wireless is the way to go? It's quite a way's away from the modem upstairs...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Roku just came out with a Roku 3 that is supposed to be pretty good. I have one and we use it for Hulu Plus, Netflix and it works great for that. Roku even has a remote for your iPhone (maybe android too) so you can use it as a remote.

I would happily buy another one. Best 100 bucks I spent.

P.S. Personally I hardwire everything I can, but if your super far away it might be better to go with wireless. Only one way to find out.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I've got 2 roku's, and have been pleased with them. Was having quite a few drop outs of picture until I upgraded my wireless router to a Netgear N900 series. Works much better now. I also have Amazon prime for streaming, and it does limit you to what streamers work with it. For now it needs to be roku or vizio and a few Panasonics have amazon as well. For Netflix only, almost anything will work.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Check out the Apple TV as well. That's what we use in every room and they work great for what we do (Netflix, Hulu, AirPlay, and local content streaming).
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    edited September 2013
    Options
    i have an older roku that works great thats just sitting around. streams netflix, amazon prime, hulu, etc. i could ship it to you for 35 if you want to try it. just let me know.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I would suggest the sony Blu-Ray bdp s5100 it has a great Netflix app some music apps plus your getting another bluray and sacd player for only $120. I have one and it really can't be beat for the money.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Another vote for the Roku. Besides Netfilx, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime, they have HBO GO and Redbox streaming available. I have the XS2 and the new Roku 3 and like both of them. The 3 gives you a choice of G or N reception.

Both of my units are fairly close to the wireless router, so I can't say how well they would work over a long distance, but I don't have any trouble with dropouts.
  • smglbrth
    edited September 2013
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    i have an older roku that works great thats just sitting around. streams netflix, amazon prime, hulu, etc. i could ship it to you for 35 if you want to try it. just let me know.

Sending a PM...