High power amplifier comparison

Options
zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited September 2013 in Gatherings & Special Events
Once I finish the upgrades on my SRS 2s, I would like to do an amplifier comparison against my Gary Dodd Hypex based amplifier. I would love to compare this great class-D amp verses a similar powered and quality class A/B, etc. If you have an amplifier you would like to compare, and wouldn't mind spending a few hours as my house listening to music, we'll informally put something together that works for all involved.

769_11_big.jpg
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Sounds interesting Jake. I wouldl love to hear your Dodd. I have never heard the SRS 2's either. I only (still) have the VK-200 to compare. Not class D, but as you know a phenominal amp! If you still remember how the VK-200 sounds, then there would be little use in comparing (but may be interesting to other people who show up).

I would only be able to make it on a Tuesday or Wednesday though, so I don't know if that will work out unfortuantely.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • zingo
    edited September 2013
    Options
    My aural memory isn't long enough to compare the BAT and the Dodd... :(
  • zingo
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Plus I'm not sure it's a common ground design; at lease I never tested it.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited September 2013
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    Plus I'm not sure it's a common ground design; at lease I never tested it.

The VK-200 is common ground (far as I know).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Nice speakers Jake! SRS 2's are a fav of mine.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • zingo
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Thanks! I think they are the best combination of SDA design/sound with the ability to be placed and excel in smaller spaces then the big boys. Plus they are ridiculously well built and are one of the most rare SDAs, so I felt blessed to be able to grab a mint pair with paperwork.

Wanna send your Sanders amp over for comparison on the SRS 2s? :mrgreen:
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2013
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    Thanks! I think they are the best combination of SDA design/sound with the ability to be placed and excel in smaller spaces then the big boys. Plus they are ridiculously well built and are one of the most rare SDAs, so I felt blessed to be able to grab a mint pair with paperwork.

Wanna send your Sanders amp over for comparison on the SRS 2s? :mrgreen:

I agree! I bought my pin/blade 2's with cat scratch fever so I had to re-cloth them; front and sides. Oak tops were good except for some wax on them. Original manual, including owner notes with Polk suggestions for better amp to keep from blowing tweeters again. (He had two Adcom 555's). I did the xover and upgraded tweeters.

If I had a spare amp I'd send it. Better yet I'd like to come along.:cheesygrin: Been a long time since I been out that way. My brother (RIP) lived on Whidbey. The Sanders worked well with some conventional speakers. Some preferred a tube pre for better mids.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • zingo
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I'll be on Whidbey Island enjoying the sun for the weekend, so I'll pour one out for him...
  • zingo
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I would be open to comparing any amp over 200wpc for a get-together.