Broken Kicker DX700

LittleCar_w/12s
LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a kicker DX700 that i got a while ago, and it always had problems.. I had the crossover module replaced a few times to no avail. Currently the inputs themselves are completely broken.. it will not recieve anything from them at all.

I tested it inside on my bench, and the mid and power stages seem to work, as it will amplify the 60hz line noise present in most houses due to ambient noise... the inputs are obviously fried. There is no internal damage visible, which makes me think there is a burnt Chip.. but which one?

Does anyone know of this problem or whether or not kicker will repair it? It was purchased about 2 years ago.

Thanks for help

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
Post edited by LittleCar_w/12s on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    is it a class d amp?
    cuz poweredbydodge tried to fix my bd1000 and he couldnt
    class d amps are almost impossible to fix from what i gather
    most likely a new board...and as far as kicker fixing it...is it under warranty?
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2004
    if the power supply and output stages check out to be bulletproof start checking resistors (ya that's fun - that's the point i usually start pulling my hair out and throwing **** around the room)... now a burnt up resistor isn't going to cause all this problem, but 9 times out of 10, if you've got a burnt chip, there's a burnt resistor attached to one of its legs. chips dont usually look visibly fked up... and unless you want to spend hours and hours and days looking up chip data sheets and then making sure you've got a curve tracer among other things to diagnose each one of them - after you've pulled them off the board of course... then i suggest hunting resistors.

if it is a class d - forget it. don't even friggin bother. if you do figure it out, it'll cost you almost as much in parts as it would to get a replacement new in box off ebay... but most likely you'd jsut keep beating yoru head off a wall -- save for the day you decided to pull each and every piece off that board and go at it with test equipment... at which time i'd say you had too much time on your hands.

i feel for ya -- its a friggi nightmare going into an amp sometimes.

i had a kid bring me a jensen that was PERFECT electronically - not a damn transistor damaged on teh whole thing -- it was a little 30 x 2 channel so it was small enough i even checked every resistor and cap on the board... fine... yet it would not spit out sound. never figured otu what was wrong -- jsut assumed it to eb the input.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited January 2004
    yeah it just so happens to be a class D ... go figure.
    I will try the resistor thing guess... And as for warranty? It was a display so i got it for DIRT cheap... They guy might replace it though. I had a problem with a display H/U from him, and he pulled a new one from a box, and gave it to me... Only problem now is I live 1600 miles from his shop :D

I had a Badly abused kenwood once.. took $50 in power stage parts.. but there's no visible dammage on the kicker... likely due for a hair-pulling kinda day.

Oh and for those small amps.. like the one you couldnt find anything wrong.. it tends to be that all-in one amp chip they use... IF you can find em on the man site thay are cheap to replace... but it's a piss in the wind guess if that's all that's wrong.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.