amp install help

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
now that i have my mm10's and amp, my friend and i are going to install them. right now, i have 8 guage running from the battery to my amp that is already installed, and there is another 8 guage coming off the battery. my friend said it would be fine if i run the fosgate 1001bd off that cable as long as i have a really good and strong ground. i dont think he is correct but maybe i am wrong. any advice? also, he said i should use 8 guage from amp to subs. again, i am unsure.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited January 2004
    An 8Ga kit is typically sold and used for amps to 500watts, and will slightly hinder amps higher than that. Ex: My 700w kicker didnt have any problem with it, but would've liked to have a larger cable.

Basically, when you hook a 2X4ohm load to an amp (=2ohm) the actual load to the battery is MUCH less. This is due to the voltages inside of the amp which can run around 48v in a 500w amp now math not including elec usage fo amp itself.. and supply voltage running at 12v, the amp shows 1/4 of the load resistance (2ohm) to the battery at full power this is 1/2 Ohm! so for larger amps that may show 1/10 ohm.. the resistance of the cable becomes noticeable.

So: If you still have your vehicle in a million peices, go ahead and put that 4ga or 2ga in if ya can (for upgrading later). but the 8ga will run ok for now.

Also: the ground must be VERY good regardless of your cable size.. remove paint, and use an electrical star washer to bite into the metal and tighten, tighten tighten...

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited January 2004
    sorry missed one of your ?'s

From the amp to the subs, remember the resistance is that of the subs themselves, so cable resistance is not as noticeable because each sub is 4ohm.. an 18 ga cable will not even impede your performance audibly.. but it will light the wires on fire :D 12ga or 10ga is usually used between the amp and subs

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    do not use 8gauge wire to the amp
    use 4
    8gauge is way too small
    i wouldnt use 8 for anything over 400, much less 1000watts
    12gauge speaker wire from the amps to the subs would be perfect, 8 is overkill
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    thanks. i guess ill go ahead and buy a 4 guage wiring kit. or should i get 2 guage?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    4 should be fine
    www.knukonceptz.com is a very cheap place to get wiring
    all my power wire is from there
    id go with monster for speaker wire and streetwires 3.0s for your RCAs
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    When in doubt, remember that you can not have too large a power wire! But who can afford 1/0 guage? $5 a foot?!?!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    i already hav rca's and everything else, but i ended up gettin this Stinger Custom Pro SWK4D for my wiring kit. i was told at the local car audio shop (not a chain like circuit city) that it would be fine.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2004
    yup, thatll do
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    i wouldn't use less than a 2 gauge kit with that amp.

that's just me though... the guy who runs over 3,500 rms without problems... whatta i know? nada
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • paul mx3
    paul mx3 Posts: 22
    edited January 2004
    if at all possible....try to use 0 gauge....may sounds a bit much but it will make upgrading everything so much easier when you do.....