Optical Toslink connectors???

Options
shyne4life
shyne4life Posts: 13
Hello everyone i'm new here and this is my first post. I am looking to purchase a new optical cable, and have been trying to find out which will be the best one to purchase. I have looked at Monster Cables and IXOS's versions, but any other types will be welcome thanks for the help.
Post edited by shyne4life on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I think any of the brands that you have listed would be fine.

A lot of us prefer the digital coax over the optical just because of less converting; but this may be more of a theoretical factor than an actual performance issue. I had a hard time telling which was better when watching movies. I finally decided on the digital coax just for the theoretical reason and because it is less prone to having a dust type interference problem (when disconnecting and reconnect the cable and such).
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Shyne, if it has to be an optical connection(coaxial is equal in quality and somewhat sturdier)there's no good reason to consider the expensive ones mentioned. These two or three less expensive cables would be fine.
  • shyne4life
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, yeah the connection has to be optical because my dvd player only has that connection and 5.1 input outs, but thanks again
  • pjdami
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Here's another alternative at a nice and affordable price from a very reputable cable manuafacturer Analysis Plus 1 m Toslink for $29.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/categorylisting.asp?CategoryID=10&hdnCat=Digital%20Cables
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2004
    Options
    People always pushing digital coaxial. I have tree dvd players (low, mid and high end) and slighted aged Onkyo reciever and none of then have options for DC. Many of gear don't have the option. I guess i'm making some kind of weird point. Need another beer.
  • shyne4life
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Yeah I know I hear alot of people saying that coaxial is better, but my DVD player only has an optical connection.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I was not saying coaxil is better. They are equal in sound quality for the most part. Just saying that talking people into coaxil can be baffeling to many without the outputs for it. Optical WAS the STANDARD but anything new and different seem to always be persived as better... I guess!
    Or something like that ;)
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Scott,
    A personal observation if I may.....
    Your Shitfaced!!:D

Who's got the "Scottvamps Hammered Again Decoder Ring?"
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
  • pjdami
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, yeah the connection has to be optical because my dvd player only has that connection and 5.1 input outs, but thanks again

I apologize for "assuming" that your DVD player had both optical and digital coax out. I can't begin to tell you how many times "assuming" has gotten me into trouble:o

I was using an Acoustic Reasearch Optical cable before I switched to Digital Coax. I bought the AR at Best Buy and it was like $25.

I never did any extensive comparisons between the cables but they all sound pretty good watching movies.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384701228&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08053
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2004
    Options
    I apologize for "assuming" that your DVD player had both optical and digital coax out. I can't begin to tell you how many times "assuming" has gotten me into trouble
    Hey buddy, no apologizing is neccissary. Just a up to date misconseption I was pointing out. No biggie!!! :)