Neil Young's Pono music player and online store set for early 2014 launch

rohitharsh
rohitharsh Posts: 20
edited December 2013 in Going Digital
I was wondering what everyones opinion is regarding Pono?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4692320/neil-young-pono-music-service-hardware-2014-launch

Will it actually sound better than FLAC? I think ease of use will be a big consideration too.
Post edited by rohitharsh on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited September 2013
    There's a few issues that I see.
    the goal with Pono was to deliver master-level songs to the masses who are used to buying what he has criticized as poorly-compressed MP3s.

The "masses" don't care about sound quality.
    Despite the fact that a growing number of people listen to music store on smartphones nowadays — the Pono-sourced songs will playback on a triangularly shaped, proprietary music player

The "masses" already have their smartphones and are not going to carry around another device.

The "masses" are not going to pay for music they already have regardless if it sounds like dog poo.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited September 2013
    F1nut wrote: »
    There's a few issues that I see.

The "masses" don't care about sound quality.

The "masses" already have their smartphones and are not going to carry around another device.

The "masses" are not going to pay for music they already have regardless if it sounds like dog poo.

Excellent points all around.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited September 2013
    Since Neil Young seems to be interested in hi-rez music he should release his entire catalog on SACD. At least the folks that buy SACD's are interested in hi-rez.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited September 2013
    Is it me, or has anyone noticed a complete lack of details about the device itself ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    edited September 2013
    Since Neil Young seems to be interested in hi-rez music he should release his entire catalog on SACD. At least the folks that buy SACD's are interested in hi-rez.

Probably won't happen, he prefers DVDA to SACD. We may see some of those but it's hard to tell with Neil. finicky the way he is.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited September 2013

Unfortunately, while Neil has the right idea on digital music, he has been all over the map in support of it. A few years ago, he announced that he was going to release his entire catalog on Blueray audio since that is the best audio platform available. However, after volume one this project has stalled.

I suspect Pono will fail since the target audience will not buy a dedicated music player, and audiophiles just want high-res files at a reasonable price, and not another format requiring another source device.

http://neilyoungarchives.warnerreprise.com/shop/vol1/
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tornado Red
    Tornado Red Posts: 939
    edited September 2013

+1 But, it appears his target market is partially the youngins' who won't want or buy an SACD player either. If this is his target market, he'd better find a way to stick a virtual keyboard on that sucker so they can text. Even then, what are they going to listen through, a set of $25 ear buds? I do give him kudos though for how he thinks music is being offered and played back today, his answer just seems a little weak. But who knows, maybe we'll all be Ponoing our arses off in a few years....

Just to add...has anybody heard his blu-ray le Noise? You owe it to yourself if you haven't and are a 2 channel fan. Only 30-40 mimutes long, just him and different guitars. The video portion is B&W and, umm, different...the sound however is in LPCM2.0 (192khz/24bit) and pretty impressive.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2013
    All he had to do is get one of the Big Boy record Companies behind him, perhaps SONY! Need a major AD campaign pushed by a large electronics concern?

PONO is a good idea, but I believe Jesse is right, in the end!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mccarty250
    mccarty250 Posts: 220
    edited December 2013
    I fear that if he buys onto one single format type then this is going to fail. For those of you interested in the PONO, the product that actually does what he is espousing already exists and is very reasonably priced in the Fiio X3. Integrated 192/24 DAC, supports flac playback etc., integrated headphone amp, expandable flash...I want one.