Best Sub for 110W/CH Receiver

mgd99
mgd99 Posts: 84
edited January 2004 in Speakers
If my receiver is a true 110W/CH, should I be buying a PSW303/350 or would I still see significant gains if I bought a PSW 404 or the PSW 505.

I am under the impression that buying a 300 Watt sub would not be worth it with a 110W/CH receiver.

Stupid question? Of course.........What do you expect, I almost bought new tweeters because I had a bad fuse.

TIA

mgd99
Post edited by mgd99 on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by mgd99
    If my receiver is a true 110W/CH, should I be buying a PSW303/350 or would I still see significant gains if I bought a PSW 404 or the PSW 505.
    I am under the impression that buying a 300 Watt sub would not be worth it with a 110W/CH receiver.
    Stupid question? Of course.........What do you expect, I almost bought new tweeters because I had a bad fuse.
    mgd99
    Not true at all, subs are very important to your system. Many of us HomeTheater peeps can't ever have enough bass. It is worth the investment for a good sub. It is nice to have a sub with power to spare. Being able to handle the low power hungry bass without a problem. The "watts" issue you are conserning yourself with will be covered in your calibrating.
  • Seaward
    Seaward Posts: 56
    edited January 2004
    The 110W/channel you are refering to I beleive only applies to your actual speakers and not your sub. The sub you buy will have its own internal amp (the power cord)(in the case of the 404 I think it is about 200Watts). The sub only receives a LFE signal from the receiver and the internal sub amp does the rest.

Thats my understanding on subs, if incorrect please advise
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2004
    I believe he understands that according to his post - he was asking the "watts" of reciever channel vs sub "watts". And in the settup menu on DD recievers you send alot more than just LFE bass to the sub if you set speakers to small and in most applications you should.