Polk Audio LSiM705

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,105
edited August 2013 in Speakers
This is not really a “review” per say but is more of an acknowledgement of how incredibly nice the LSiM series is and a thank you for Polk for providing us Polkies with such a good deal recently. So please do not read this thinking you will receive descriptions of sound and so forth.

I think there comes a point in a hobby where you become disenchanted with your first love or more so what started you in the hobby. I am not sure why this is or perhaps it is "if I move backwards I am not moving forwards" or whatever the case may be but for my own reasons I have not owned Polk speakers in about seven years. Once I walked away from the Polk brand it was a lot of parallel changes with mostly different sound signatures (Definitive Tech) and I eventually had a system I felt was extremely good, the best I have heard with my modified Tyler Acoustics Super Towers. I have traveled many many miles to hear top notch systems to gain experience. I actually traveled 700 miles to hear the Wilson Audio Alexandria II in a 1.5 million dollar system and I was able to hear the JM Lab Grande Utopia on a regular basis for years. These experiences were an eye opening experience to what audio was all about. Anyways, a long story short when I had to sell my Super Towers due to personal reasons I have not really been in a hurry to have a reference 2 channel system. Plus I want my next system to be a complete in wall home theater with actual box style speakers for mains.

Over the last two years I have owned quite possibly thirty to forty plus sets of speakers from a multitude of Tyler Acoustics, Joseph Audio, Definitive, Rogers, the list goes on and none of them really made me sit down and listen after the modified Super Towers.

Enter Polkfest 2012, Baltimore Maryland, headquarter tour and the LSiM was the topic of discussion with multiple demo rooms. I will be honest that every demo at Polk headquarters left much to be desired and that was not a good demo for me. It was not until we arrived at Stu's house and listened to the LSiM705 on the Audio Research gear, on an IPod no less did my ears perk up. They were not my Super Towers but they had an extremely special quality to them that allowed you to just listen.

With that said, I am not really a review type person anymore because what is it to describe audio through words? I just wanted to chime in that I can without a doubt say that the new LSiM series is a true statement series from Polk Audio, particularly the 705. It will not be the best speaker out there once you move to an upper level (it will provide stiff competition in a lower price point) but in its level I think you would be extremely hard pressed to find a speaker for the dollar that is built as nice, looks as nice and provides the sound quality that the 705 delivers.

I appreciate the venue Polk Audio has provided us with this forum and the LSiM is truly a collection of all of our complaints, wishes and wants rolled into an extremely tight good looking package. From a long ago Polk Audio owner I am proud to say I have these speakers in my possession and I hope they will be a part of a system in my humble abode for many years and anyone that knows me that is one heck of an accomplishment.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Nice Trey, a little back history and a small review can go along way. Congrats on the speaks too. Now, how long before you start modding those bad boys ?:biggrin:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Trey,did you order speakers for all your friends???
    Sure are kissing up to Polk here,lol.:razz:

Got he 703's myself and very very satisfied.....
    Kinda sorry I didn't order the 705's
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,105
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Thanks guys! I plan on modding them soon, maybe before Polkfest so I can bring them modified and formulate a way to swap modded versus stock... :)

They are great speakers for sure!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    edited August 2013
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    formulate a way to swap modded versus stock... :)

Trey, make a external crossover box for both and then just switch wires at the speaker end to play with either set. So you would have a couple sets of binding posts that connect directly to the speakers similar to how you run the wires when you go fully active. In my head that seems to be the easiest way to go..... Not sure how easy to implement that would be though.

Sure you already thought of that, but just in case...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited August 2013
    Options
    So those who have SDA and LSiM series, are LSiM clearly better or just apples and oranges?

May be there will be a 75% off sale soon. :evil:

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • tonyb
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Apples and oranges
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Mystery wrote: »
    So those who have SDA and LSiM series, are LSiM clearly better or just apples and oranges?

May be there will be a 75% off sale soon. :evil:

as far as sound, my SDA 1C still sounds better than my new 707s. more spacious; wider soundstage. the 707s sound boxy. However, the LSIM looks way better. there is no way I will put the SDA in the livingroom.
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited August 2013
    Options
    nhhiep wrote: »
    as far as sound, my SDA 1C still sounds better than my new 707s. more spacious; wider soundstage. the 707s sound boxy. However, the LSIM looks way better. there is no way I will put the SDA in the livingroom.
    So you can't have best of both worlds. Hmm.... :frown:
    Hope they start making SDA-LSiM. :idea:

One of my local audio buddies is using huge, fugly (for living room that is) professional JBL system in the basement movie theater.
    So he has a screen covering the whole front portion of the room with some fabric that doesn't block sound too much and all the huge front speakers/subwoofers are hidden.
    May that's what needs to be done for SDA's to be in the living room. :wink:

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I agree with VR3, the LSiM series is a true statement series for Polk in all aspects - appearance, build quality and sound quality - pretty much fantastic all around!

there is no way I will put the SDA in the livingroom.

A well-cared-for or refurb'd pair of SDA 1Cs is very living room presentable. Last pics shown here of your SDA 1Cs they had trashed grilles, were missing side panels and the tops and bottoms were pretty beaten up. At the time, you were looking for a big audio-transparent sock (sack?) to put them in to improve their appearance. Has that changed? If not, I'm in full agreement with you, keep them out of the living room.
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited August 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Apples and oranges

more like apples and orangutans. :biggrin:
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • nhhiep
    edited August 2013
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    I agree with VR3, the LSiM series is a true statement series for Polk in all aspects - appearance, build quality and sound quality - pretty much fantastic all around!
    A well-cared-for or refurb'd pair of SDA 1Cs is very living room presentable. Last pics shown here of your SDA 1Cs they had trashed grilles, were missing side panels and the tops and bottoms were pretty beaten up. At the time, you were looking for a big audio-transparent sock (sack?) to put them in to improve their appearance. Has that changed? If not, I'm in full agreement with you, keep them out of the living room.

I already put in 4 tweeters to get the sound I like from the 1C. I don't think I will do more work or $ into it, especially now I've the 707s. Probably put the 1Cs in the closet until I can use them again. nope, not selling it :)

Compare to the 707s, the 1Cs look so last century. In this century, thin is in. Looking at the 707s, I kinda wish Polk use a bigger woofers, instead of 6x10. there is space larger woofers in the front.

here is a crazy idea. I wish I bought 4 707s and use a controller from my SRT system to create the ultimate SDA-LSIM system.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited August 2013
    Options
    If you need more bass add 2 quality subs.
  • nhhiep
    edited August 2013
    Options
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    If you need more bass add 2 quality subs.

that would make things more complicated. I rather trust Polk doing the engineering work and I do the listening :)
    Imagine 4 707s with a SRT controller... Ultimate Sounding Machine.
  • tonyb
    edited August 2013
    Options
    that would be things more complicated. I rather trust Polk doing the engineering work and I do the listening :)
    Imagine 4 707s with a SRT controller... Ultimate Sounding Machine.

Huh ? The SRT controller isn't ment for LSIM's. Lsim's don't need phase adjustment and the controller won't give them that SDA effect either. Whats the purpose then ?

Or are you just wishful thinking in combining the 2 technologies ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Trey,

A very nice write up and a great story.

Thanks for sharing your experiences -- more and less recent! Quite a journey you've made.

Phil
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,045
    edited August 2013
    Options