Asus Xonar essence STX how many of you using it ?

Options
Sumerian
Sumerian Posts: 490
edited September 2013 in Going Digital
recently bought Asus Xonar essence STX sound card .... still burning in

Its a considerable improvement over onboard card.

Folks rave about the DAC processor on this card.... Though i havent heard any stand alone DACs i would like to know what you guys think?
Post edited by Sumerian on

Comments

• falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I used an ST for a while. It was a definite step up from the onboard card, but I have since moved on to stand alone DACs. The ST offered great performance for the price, but like everything else in audio, there's always something better if you want to spend the money.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    there's always something better if you want to spend the money.
    \

Amen to that.

What is your current DAC?
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Current permanent DAC in my main 2-channel rig is the Audio GD NFB-7. I also have an NFB-8, a W4S DAC-2, and a Parasound DAC 2000 Ultra that I've been switching in and out. In my HT rig I use the DAC in my pro/pro, a Marantz AV8003.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Audio GD NFB-7. I also have an NFB-8

Arent they considered high end DACs? Read about these DACs but they cost little over what i have allocated for DACs
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Sumerian wrote: »
    Arent they considered high end DACs? Read about these DACs but they cost little over what i have allocated for DACs

Depends how you define "high end". They sound good. :biggrin:

• Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Depends how you define "high end". They sound good. :biggrin:

Ok here comes the dumb question how much better this DAC sounds over the ST you had? not sure how long back you had it and if you can compare it
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Ok here comes the dumb question how much better this DAC sounds over the ST you had? not sure how long back you had it and if you can compare it

A lot better. :biggrin: I would say that the difference between the stock PC sound card and the ST was bigger than the difference between the ST and a "high end" DAC.

That particular system is very revealing, so subtleties upstream are easily recognised.

What's the rest of your system comprised of? Spending a bunch of money on a DAC may not be the best route depending on what else is going on.

• Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    A lot better. :biggrin: I would say that the difference between the stock PC sound card and the ST was bigger than the difference between the ST and a "high end" DAC.

That particular system is very revealing, so subtleties upstream are easily recognised.

What's the rest of your system comprised of? Spending a bunch of money on a DAC may not be the best route depending on what else is going on.

I have upgraded my Speakers recently i will receive them tomorrow:

Polk LSIM 707 Fronts
    LSIM 703 Surrounds
    LSIM 706c Center
    DSW Pro 660 WI (With wireless adapter) subwoofer

Onkyo TX NR 709

Amp Planning to buy B&K 200.5 or 7250

Planning to get MIT Shotgun S3 cables for Fronts and center

HTPC with Xonar card and 4TB disk with flacs, Jriver Media player with ASIO
  • Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    new sc series is pretty damn nice. That might be a better route to look at given all the variables here.

Not sure are you saying the DAc is worthy addition or not required?
  • Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I forgot you were getting an amp to power the setup (how, I don't know?)
    I didnt get that question.
    My receiver has pre outs and i am planning to connect them to the amp.

I am planning to update AVR... this time around i may go for a Pre pro some time end of this year
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2013
    Options
    My receiver has pre outs and i am planning to connect them to the amp.

I am planning to update AVR... this time around i may go for a Pre pro some time end of this year

If you're planning on upgrading your AVR, it's likely that the new AVR or pre/pro will have better DACs in it than the ST, so I wouldn't add an external DAC. Just put whatever money you would have put into an external DAC into a better pre/pro.

• Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    If you're planning on upgrading your AVR, it's likely that the new AVR or pre/pro will have better DACs in it than the ST, so I wouldn't add an external DAC. Just put whatever money you would have put into an external DAC into a better pre/pro.

Point taken thanks for the suggestion... looks like This upgrading never stops ... i thought my speakers (Sony) where the weakest link in my setup so upgraded the speakers ....now i am ending up upgrading every thing including cables :redface:
  • falconcry72
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Point taken thanks for the suggestion... looks like This upgrading never stops ... i thought my speakers (Sony) where the weakest link in my setup so upgraded the speakers ....now i am ending upgrading every thing including cables :redface:

lol, yes that's true, but it sounds like you're on the way to a VERY nice system! Congrats on all the new toys, especially the speakers.

• Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    lol, yes that's true, but it sounds like you're on your way to a VERY nice system! Congrats on all the new toys, especially the speakers.

Thanks, all these effort is to backup those speakers.... Polks Freinds and Family is to blame :mrgreen:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Thanks, all these effort is to backup those speakers.... Polks Freinds and Family is to blame :mrgreen:

Well, nicer gear demands nicer playmates. Problem is, your always deciding what is the weak link in your system. As soon as you upgrade one thing, something else becomes the weak link.

Just get to a point that you like what you hear and enjoy the tunes. There will always be something better to chase. Looks like your doing a fine job as is, nice system your putting together.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Well, nicer gear demands nicer playmates. Problem is, your always deciding what is the weak link in your system. As soon as you upgrade one thing, something else becomes the weak link.

Just get to a point that you like what you hear and enjoy the tunes. There will always be something better to chase. Looks like your doing a fine job as is, nice system your putting together.

Seeing some of the setups here i think i am still far away...

I never knew that one can spend 10K on apair of speaker cable... thats is a used accord price :rolleyes:
  • Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Oh Ok ....

I have one question though...from the little information i have the receiver will not apply any equalizer to the analog inputs
    it will just transmits to the amp... so if i use a DAC and connect it via analog RCA cables then how will the receiver be a limiting factor.

Am i wrong with my assumption? This more to get clarification than questioning :smile:
  • Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    one the other hand looks like not many folks here care for Soundcard... its all external DAC
  • Sumerian
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Yeah i am bit my this audio bug ... its like discovering internet **** for the first time :cheesygrin:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2013
    Options
    one the other hand looks like not many folks here care for Soundcard... its all external DAC

.....and there's a reason for that, they usually sound better and offer a bit more connectivity.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I'm using the STX in my computer rig with a real nice 1959 Fisher integrated (X1000) and a pair of modified Minimus 77s. It's not the big rig, but it sounds great in the nearfield.
    Carl