Polk vs Bose for surround

Options
mgd99
mgd99 Posts: 84
edited January 2004 in Speakers
Can anyone give me an honest appraisal on this.

I have a couple of Bose 201 Series III speakers that have been sitting in a closet for 4 years. I am putting a couple of Monitor 10A's as L/R, probably a cs400i for center, and a PSW350 as sub in a 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 set up.

I have narrowed the surrounds to the RTi28, RT25 or RTi15's and I am wondering how they compare to the Bose I have. The bose have a 6 1/2 woofer and a 2 1/4 tweeter.............which are both bigger than those in the Polks.

I can't do a side-by side comparison because I can't find the Polks anywhere in my area and need to get them on-line or on e-bay.

SO.............anyone have any experience with these different speakers? I was never really impressed with the Bose when I used them as the B speakers (Monitors as A's) but my receiver was pretty old and I couldn;t do much to compensate.

If they aren't good enough to use as the only surrounds in a 5.1 or 6.1.........would it help or hurt if I got a pair of the Polks for surrounds and added the Bose as a second pair of surrounds for 7.1?? Or should I dump the Bose on e-bay for $50 and use all Polks??

BTW, all this concern about matching timber perfectly went out the window when I decided to use the Monitors and the CS400 because the perfect surrounds would have been RTi38's (according to Polk) and there is no way I could fit those in my living room.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice so far, I am getting closer, but not quite there yet.

Regards

mgd99
Post edited by mgd99 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Get the RTi38, and I will sell you shelves that is made to set them on their side :D;)

The shelves might need a new paint job (1 buck at walmart) and maybe some caulk fill for the holes, but thats not to bad. They have a cork top to stop vibrations. Just to let ya know.

When you do that, the RTi38 becomes smaller in height than the RTi28, etc
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Believe me, if they fit, I would use them. Crutchfield just dropped the price on RTi38's to $250 a pair new, and they aren't the cheapest place around, so I'm sure someone else will have them for less. Just no room in the living room.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited January 2004
    Options
    List the Bose for more than that, and let some fool talk you down to $75 for them. You'll BOTH feel better about the deal. List them for $100, but say you can "be flexible" with the price.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    george

You're right. I just saw that they have been selling for $75-100. I was never very impressed with them, but they were a gift once. Why someone would pay that much when they could have a pair of new RT15i's for $90 (jandrmusic.com) amazes me.

I guess my question has been answered...............sell them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited January 2004
    Options
    Your first clue should be the 2 1/4" tweeter. That's not a tweeter, nor a mid-driver, it's just Blose crap. Sell them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mgd99
    edited January 2004
    Options
    LOL.....I just negotiated for a pair of RTi28's for $100. If I can get $75 for the Bose, I will consider myself way ahead of the game.

They may not be a perfect surround for the Monitor 10A's, but I hope they will be close enough.

Now I just need to determine if I want two Back surrounds, or a back center, or one back sub.