Help with what I think is ground noise

Kschultz76
Kschultz76 Posts: 59
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok I need help guys. I spent all day New Years doing my new install and got everything installed and set to go. But once I started everything up I'm hearing what I think is ground loop noise in the speakers.

It sounds kinda staticy and like angry mice, it gets louder as I increase adjust the gains higher, and it comes from all of my speakers.

My RCA's and speaker wire run down the passenger side of the car, my power and REM down the drivers side. I'm using Streetwires ZN 2.0 rca's and streetwires ultracable 12g speaker cable.

Any ideas on where the noise could be coming from? Can the location of my ground affect it?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Post edited by Kschultz76 on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2004
    Start with the ground...thats normally the culprit
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2004
    Make sure that your power and ground wire are the same gauge and of good quality.

Something else you may want to look at is if the fuse is too big.

I had a Suzuki Samurai once and ran a Pioneer 50x2 amp to some enclosed 6x9s and had the same noise. I was running 8 gauge wire with a 60 amp fuse. I dropped the fuse down to a 30 and the noise was gone.

That might have just been a problem with the amp and not a voltage problem but who knows, it worked. I guess I figure if an amplifier only needs 25 amps and you give it 60 then the excess may bleed over into the signal. Hell I dont know. This is just a guess based on observation so dont take it as gospel.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited January 2004
    Well the fuse isnt really a problem.. as an any electrical device only uses up to it's maximum. What that was was probably just a connection prob (take out and reinsert fuse)

And yes, that noise is probably ground noise.. look for loose wires INSIDE your connectors, solder if possible or re-crimp. Also make sure youu removed the paint at your ground point, and an electrical star washer helps. A sheet metal screw will NOT do there either.. so if you dont yet.. use a thick bolt you can crank down on :D (also if it extrudes to the underbody, coat it with underbody spray rubber.. rust does wonders to ruin electrical connections)

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited January 2004
    Also noise will be a BIG problem if you r signal cable has a broken ground (shield) - check this usually by wiggling the cable ends.. replace if neccessary (you can also check with a multimeter...)

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • Kschultz76
    Kschultz76 Posts: 59
    edited January 2004
    Thanks for all your input guys, found the problem and got rid of the noise. My friend helped me install everything and he ran the rca's and speaker cable paralell to a stock harness of wires under the dash that must've had bunch of current running through them. Moved everything away from that harness and no more noise.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited January 2004
    shouldve got the the 3.0s!!!
    :D
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2004
    inductors in the terminal ends... what can i say.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing