Pioneer BDP-51FD

Options
smglbrth
smglbrth Posts: 1,460
edited August 2013 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I was going to keep this for a second system but have decided against it. Since it's just sitting around keeping dust figured I'd put it on here to see if anyone was interested in it. I've had it for around 4 years, the last couple I've barely used it since I bought the Yammi.

Original box, manual, remote. I am the second owner, the first owner installed a different plug into the back, it says Furutech on it. That changed it to a three prong cord instead of the original two. He didn't bother to send along the power cord to fit this (but did send me the original one I couldn't use) so I have been using a basic three prong computer cable I had laying around. The original owner also installed some type of gold "film" to the inside cover. Not sure what it is but figured someone else would know, and know what it's there for. Cosmetically it's great, just a few slight (and I mean slight) marks on the plastic front, no scratches on the top/sides. The player itself works with the older BD's and some newer, has the latest firmware installed. I couldn't get it to play the new Bond movie however. Plays all DVD's/CD's that I have. For a little bit I did have problems with it playing certain BD's but seems to have cleared up somewhat, if that's makes any sense (maybe it needed a break?). All in all a nice player and needs no introduction here.

I will ship the original cord with it and if someone wants it I can also ship the basic three prong one I have been using.

$70 + shipping or $60 local pick-up, 53821 area code.
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
297.JPG 342.9K
298.JPG 465.6K
Post edited by smglbrth on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Put some dynamat in that sucker, add an aftermarket cable and Doug's IC's and you've got a hell of a source for the money. After adding the monoblocks to my system, I've been so happy with mine that I've been debating whether the move to an Oppo 105 is worth it.

Great price man. GLWTS

Have to agree with this as I also use one of these and have been pretty happy with it in my office system. Pretty much the same build as the Elite 05 model. I use mine mainly for AUDIO, but the occasional movie also makes it in there!

GLWTS! Heck of a price for this!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Killer price for this guys, makes a good cdp too.

Good luck on the sale, at that price it should be gone by morning.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited August 2013
    Options
    For those of you in the know, how would this compare to a Denon 2910 my current source. For this price, if it's an upgrade then I would be interested.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• TNHNDYMAN
    edited August 2013
    Options
    ^ on another note, I got the 2910 as a universal player, but I haven't been too impressed with SACD's. Just not my cup of tea so that won't be a problem if this is better for 2ch listening mainly, and how does it compare to an PS3 for blu ray?
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited August 2013
    Options
    smglbrth, my apologies in advance for going off topic.

TNHNDYMAN wrote: »
    ^ on another note, I got the 2910 as a universal player, but I haven't been too impressed with SACD's. Just not my cup of tea so that won't be a problem if this is better for 2ch listening mainly, and how does it compare to an PS3 for blu ray?

The Pioneer doesn't play SACD's. You're missing the point of SACD's anyway, it's not about multi-channel, it's all about Hi-Rez 2 channel.

Getting back on topic, it's an excellent Blu-ray player.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TNHNDYMAN
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Alright I'll apologize in hindsight for going off topic (somewhat), but really I was trying to talk myself into buying this and looking for some real world experience as to how they compare without starting a new thread. I think my PS3 laser may be going out or it's having troubles reading some new blu rays (could be a firmware issue but it gets updated every time it prompts me) but no problem with DVD's SO--- I'll take it.

PM your paypal address and total cost w/ shipping to zip 37604 please.

To thread derail some more :wink:

F1 hope to see you at polkfest-- maybe we can talk some and you can educate me a little as to the benefits of the 2ch hi rez vs going with a HD download thru a DAC and explain the hoopla over redbook cd stuff...Thanks in Advance

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I'll be there and look forward to meeting you. For starters, you own the SACD disc and you know you're getting hi-rez. Seen a lot of pissed folks when they realize they didn't get the hi-rez download they paid for.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• smglbrth
    edited August 2013
    Options
    No need to apologize for derailing (I never took it as such), this is how I learn most things anyway. One thing leads to another sometimes.

I need to get some sleep after working another all nighter for 12 hours but this afternoon I'll get a total to you TNHNDYMAN, via PM.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Thanks smg.

Dskip- any suggestions on where to put the dynamat, I have a extra wedge of it around here somewhere. I'll keep my eyes open now for a decent power cable. I'll use the Audioquest sidewinders I have for now and get a feel for it before looking into an upgrade. I'd love to try some of Doug's cables, but just don't have the budget for them yet.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I put mine on the tin chassis that covers the optical drive, as well as the top of the unit/anywhere there was some bare metal on the chassis to put it. It isn't covered, just strategically placed. When I got it, there was already some done to the top cover, but adding it to the optical drive chassis made a big difference.

Pics or you didnt do it :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • TNHNDYMAN
    edited August 2013
    Options
    PYMNT sent.

Contact info sent via PM.

Thanks!

OK so who has a decent power cord for under $75 budget avail? I've seen several lately when I didn't need one so I'm sure I'll see another on here pretty soon.

• smglbrth
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Mods please mark this as sold!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Congrats on the deal. I was just in Prarie DC for Rock On The River about a month ago. Beautiful area.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • TNHNDYMAN
    edited August 2013
    Options
    smglbrth-

Got delivered and I think it will be ok, but I'd like to find my mailman right now and smack the snot out of him. Based on tracking code it got delivered around 2:17pm and I didn't hear them. Saw your email to give me a heads up around 3:50 (during a heavy rain downpour) and ran outside. It was sitting on the ground between my car front and the carport. Not under the carport. Only two or three more steps and it would have been out of the weather but the lazy sob couldn't be troubled for that much effort. There is a reason they lose money every year. Took pics after I moved it somewhat inside the carport and wiped box off with towel.

The original box is ruined. It got soaked. After opening, it appears to be dry inside, the newspaper was dry and integrity of the foam was good. I took it out and put it in the spare bedroom and will test it later tonight or tomorrow after church. I don't blame you at all, the packaging job was great and I think it will be fine. Here's some pics of the weather outside when I retrieved it....

IMG_3766.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3769.jpg
    IMG_3770.jpg

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited August 2013
    Options
    OMG!!!! It's a wonder it didn't get stolen :mad:
    Some people have no job integrity or pride at all.
    There is people right now would give an arm for a decent job!
    I would like to see a picture of your mailman, and send the pictures
    to the postmaster general.:evil:
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • TNHNDYMAN
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Great news. It works fine. No problems from being left out in rain. Listening to Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" right now and it sounds great thru a little Realistic STA 85 receiver I picked up at a garage sale earlier today. Thanks for the great price and quick ship.

I'll get it in the main system in a few days and test a Blu Ray thru the AVR. Thanks again Scot.

Travis

• smglbrth
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Glad it works ok for you but sad that the box is ruined. This is but one reason I usually wrap equipment in plastic bags in case of "wetness". Of course, not usually that wet!! Unbelievable, what a lazy arse. Wow, I would surely have words if it would have been my mailman, as I'm sure you will. Wow, just wow.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Get started on those upgrades brotha! I just picked up a trunk kit (20 sq ft) of dynamat for $30 last night. I'm going to crazy with this stuff...

Pics when your done :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Next time you see you mail man just take a picture of him, (don't say a word) so he knows that you did.
    That will have him wondering what you are up to all day long
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1