Headphone cord - How do you wrap yours?

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
edited December 2013 in Headphones
So I got some really nice headphones for work (DT770's). Problem is they have like a 2 million foot cord and I dont need all of it out while at work.

How are you guys managing your headphone cord?

Google turned up a bunch of different options, all pretty cheap, but just curious whats folks are doing.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Good question. When I use my work setup I drap the headphone cord over my shoulder, but it invariably falls off. Sometimes it is more hassle than it is worth to use it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Don't DT770s have a "coiled" cord that takes up some of the slack? If not any of the above look like a solution if you're using these in a portable manner. If you're just at a desk I see little reason to bunch up the cord. I have some DT990s that are coiled and there is no problem with their length for desk use. I never use them outside.

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2013
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Don't DT770s have a "coiled" cord that takes up some of the slack?

Nope, not these ones. You may be thinking of the Audio Technica ATH-50M which has a coiled cord (as compared to the 50S model). These beyers have a cord like 10 feet long. I was just wondering what folks are using.

The options above would work, just curious what other options folks have used, maybe there is a nifty cool looking headphone cord wrap I haven't seen. And Cathy, bunching them up is a pain because I am up and down from my desk often, and right now I just use my iphone at work, so I want something that keeps the cord short enough I can just throw the phone in my pocket.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited August 2013
    Options
    The AKGs do the coiled one too - you can swap them out.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I wrap the excess cord around the leg of my desk at work. A very rudimentary solution, but keeps me from getting the cable stuck in my chair wheels 3-4x a day.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2013
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    I wrap the excess cord around the leg of my desk at work. A very rudimentary solution, but keeps me from getting the cable stuck in my chair wheels 3-4x a day.

Only works if your desk has legs :wink: Mine doesnt....

Bump, lets see what you guys have got.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Only works if your desk has legs :wink: Mine doesnt....

Bump, lets see what you guys have got.

What kinda crazy Narnia **** are you working with? Floating desks? Keyboards that do the work for you? Sign me up brother! :mrgreen:
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • EndersShadow
    edited September 2013
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    What kinda crazy Narnia **** are you working with? Floating desks? Keyboards that do the work for you? Sign me up brother! :mrgreen:

Cubicles that have brackets that mount them into the wall. So no legs to wrap it around lol....
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Headphone amp is on my right, the cable snakes around behind my monitors and comes out to the left of them. Since the connection is on the left ear cup of my cans this works out great. Gives me enough slack such that I can move around or recline in my chair, but not so much that I don't know what to do with it all.
  • EndersShadow
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I am a big fan of bringing threads to a conclusion. As such I offer to you my probably solution to this problem. I plan on getting a medium and large pack as I can think of many other uses for these, mostly to organize my cables in boxes.

Cord wrap by bobino

Three different sizes:

Small (2.95): Bobino's flexible material and thin design make it perfect for quickly winding and unwinding mp3 and phone earbud cords.

cord-wrap-small-black_1.jpg

Medium (3.95): This size will organize most of your usb computer cables around your home or office.

cord-wrap-medium-black_1.jpg

Large (4.95) : Our large size is designed for slightly longer and thicker cords such as your laptop cable.
    cord-wrap-large-black_1.jpg
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I found the antique wooden spools provide a wider sound stage and tighter bass.

mY3JGFkQeZsJ8LmcObTOEiA.jpg
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I have a pair of supra-aural headphones that have a detachable, and coiled cable. It makes them so much easier to use, and very hassle free!
  • evamodel00
    evamodel00 Posts: 11
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I just wrap them around my hand and take em off. Not very pretty but gets the job done.
  • 4xoddic
    4xoddic Posts: 372
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I am a big fan of bringing threads to a conclusion. As such I offer to you my probably solution to this problem. I plan on getting a medium and large pack as I can think of many other uses for these, mostly to organize my cables in boxes.

Cord wrap by bobino

Large (4.95) : Our large size is designed for slightly longer and thicker cords such as your laptop cable.
    cord-wrap-large-black_1.jpg

I'm a big fan of this post. I myself purchased the Audio-Technica straight-cable version, ATH-M50s, because I found it for a bigger discount a couple years back (nowhere as low as current pricing).

Suckers have a 3.5 m (11.0') cable! I'm thinking no one plugs a thick 11' cable into a laptop; well, maybe a USB DAC cable with 24 gauge silver w/shielding & split power from data?

I used to be handy with leather. Have some antelope horns, bison skulls, elk antlers gathering dust in the basement. Also some copperhead & massasauga skins, & rattles. My visualization skills are not what they used to be. Any idea what a Native American would've wrapped headphone cables around while on a buffalo hunt?